Storm_VR6

Are my tyres legal???????

I have never fully understood the law when it comes to tyre wear hence why i have always changed my tyres as soon as i've noticed them to be anywhere near the limit. The present tyres on my car have an unusual pattern that i've not really come across before... I've recently purchased the car so would be grateful if someone could advise, as to whether or not, my tyres are legal... Please see following pictures

Drivers side front tyre outer grip looks to be completely worn however the majority of the inner tyre is still above the limits

040520111215.jpg

040520111212.jpg

040520111214.jpg

040520111211.jpg

Front passenger side:

040520111221.jpg

040520111217.jpg

040520111216.jpg

Tyres on the rear are near new:

030520111208.jpg

040520111220.jpg

It's only the outer section of the front tyres that are cause for concern, any help/advice would be appreciated

Im aware of the limit being 1.6mm but not sure if the outer section of the tyre would earn me 3 points on my licence.

Looking at the comparison between front and rear I would say they would fail an MoT, therefore not legal.

Looks like you have too much toe-in, hence scrubbing the outer edge off.

I'd say you'd only JUST get away with those if stopped but tbh i'd get them changed.

While your at it get your alignment checked if its scrubbing on the edge as its either out or like above your tyre pressures are too low.

If your alignment had been ok then tbh the even wear across that tyre would still be legal as it looks ok on the inner edge.

Is your car lowered? May explain why its worn.

As a guide you'll find raised lumps in between certain areas of tread. (wear indicators).

These are a useful indicator as to when your tyres are low for the average person thats not well up on whats legal and whats not. Usually they are around 2mm of tread high.

Edited by Macdaddy

Thanks Mac , I'll get them changed the weekend And yes, the car is lowered, the inner and outer section of the tyre has definitely worn evenly.... From the info I've gathered so far , tyres are legal but need changing soon. Just wanted to make sure I am okay to drive the car to the tyre fitters.. Knowing my luck, I'll get stopped.

Anyone know where i can get 225 40 18's at a reasonable price ?? the runways on my car at the mo are crap so looking for a decent make, happy to pay the extra few quid...

Edited by Storm_VR6

either way, with the tread that low they won't perform as intended and could be very nasty if we get a heavy downpour,

you do remember what rain is like? :) - it's been bone dry round here for weeks

tread wear markers are a good guide, once down to them, as your's are, they are well past what you need

Totally agree David and I intend to change the tyres asap.... Just making sure I fully understand the law on tyre wear, legal/illegal ...

Just wanted to make sure I am okay to drive the car to the tyre fitters.. Knowing my luck, I'll get stopped.

Anyone know where i can get 225 40 18's at a reasonable price ?? the runways on my car at the mo are crap so looking for a decent make, happy to pay the extra few quid...

I'm sure if you were on the way to get new ones fitted you would be ok ;)

Try Kumho KU31 - they are outstanding for a budget tyre. Not as grippy or long-lasting as a premium tyre, but for the price they are light years ahead of cheap tat like Nangang and Federal. I paid £50 a corner for 205 40 17 and they'll probably do about 20K on the Corrado.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Oh and definitely

Underinflation...

if they are like that on both edges.

Well, that or you have Quattro :D

I've heard good things about Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas.. Only thing is, I can only find them in 225 45 18 and not 225 40 18....any of you guys had much experience with this make of tyre ?

If only I had the cash for Michelin pilots ..

Thanks for the suggestions on the kumho's at 61 quid a piece, very fair price for new tyres.

Edited by Storm_VR6