bristolbaron

Sell, return to standard or break?

My G60 is going to be going up for sale due to another project coming my way. [no information is being released about this at this stage!!]

It's definitely going up for sale, but I can't work out the best thing to do in the current market..

The current spec is as follows:

VW Corrado 1.8 G60 Supercharged

1991 J Plate, 129k Miles

3rd Place Corrado @ MIVW, Holland, 2007.

Corrado Forum Calender Car - November 2008.

Exterior:

Whole car resprayed Oct '05 - except rear panel/tailgate as had plans to modify.

17” Multi Spoke Alloys with Falken tyres

Smoothed Wingmirrors

DDI Blue Wingmirror Glass

Passat Handles

Lupo Wipers

Colour coded JOM Grill/Eyebrow

Rear Wiper Deleted

VR6 Bonnet/Wings

Smoked Repeaters

Custom In-pro Rear Lights

Interior:

Early Black Cloth Interior

REVO Boost Gauge in SWG Air Vent Pod

DDI Backlit Gauges

Chrome Gauge Bezels

MOMO Gearknob

Oily Stuff:

G-Werks full blend charger - only driven for 250 wearing in miles since rebuild.

SNS 5.5 Chip/ 68mm Pulley

Golf G60 Front Mount Intercooler

New Radiator

New Water Pump

Rallye Outlet

Samco Hoses - Water & Charger

Deleted Boost Return Supplied

KW V1 Coilovers

VR6 Topmounts

G-Werks Full Stainless Exhaust/De Cat

305mm Brembo Cupra R Front Brakes

Rear Axle overhauled, including MK4 Calipers, Goodridge conversion hoses, Powdercoated rear beam, OEM rear bushes, OEM disks & pads, new bearings.

It's pretty much ready to go at the moment so I could sell as is, however I'm not certain that the value of items like the Brembo's, fresh refurbed charger and front mount will be realised in the asking price.

The car needs a couple of bits finished paint wise, as there are scratches to the bumper & paint bubbling around the windscreen & front of bonnet. I don't know whether to get these done as sell at a premium, cut my losses and sell as is, remove high value items as above or break the whole thing to make the most money out of the premium parts on it.

Here's a pic of how the car stood before most of the work was done and a more recent one with wheels & interior which have been removed already..

So what do I do??

garage1gj1.jpg

iphonepics008.jpg

Nice G60s are becoming increasingly rare, would seem a real shame to break it. If you definitely can't afford to keep it, it would be nice to see another enthusiast enjoying it...

Mark

Agreed far too good to break Baz, that would be a real shame so get it up for sale and see what happens.

I'd sort the couple of paint issues and sell not break.

Seems like a nice example so as a buyer nothing worse than rolling up to buy and see a few minor paint issues taking away from it. GLWS.

Nice G60s are becoming increasingly rare, would seem a real shame to break it. If you definitely can't afford to keep it, it would be nice to see another enthusiast enjoying it...

Mark

I echo these sentiments. I always think it is a shame to see any decent condition car get broken up no matter what it is. Only the lower condition cars are really suitable for breaking really. Personally I think you should swap back any modded parts with standard parts, e.g. brakes, wheels etc, where possible. Things like the charger, rad, pump are standard service items and would be looked at positively come sale.

I would find a happy medium between modded and standard, but don't break....

If you're driven purely by money, then breaking is going to give you the biggest return, but it does take time and you always end up with loads of bits no-one wants.

However I hate to see good cars getting broken for pure financial reasons. You're right though - the market is on it's ass at the moment, so if I were you I'd strip out the high value mods, sell them seperately, then get the car running, taxed and MOTd and sell it on.

Get it back to as near as standard, in good condition it should fetch good money like that, I reckon most potential buyers either want standard or prefer to put their own stamp on a car style and mods wise, then sell all your mods separately, I think that should maximise return without breaking.

Cheers guys, pretty much all similar views as I have at the moment - it's far too good to break, with the couple of paint bits done it would be back to show standard again..

I think I'm going to try it pretty much as it is and see what the market says.. there's gotta be someone out there looking for a well powered G60 with decent stoppers, it's just a case of whether to sort the paint or not

G60's are getting few and far between these days, especially well looked after ones! Sure you'd find a buyer for the car complete..