Sign in to follow this  
robbystore

Help needed with Location of temperature Sensor!

Having spent an hour armed with a torch, I have admited defeat and returned to the keyboard in search of help.

I have purchased a new Temperature Sensor for my VR6 Corrado, as recommended by a friend as a possible cure for my 'doesnt like starting when hot' problem.

I cant find where the damn thing goes!... anyone point me in the right direction? The sensor itself is about 25mm dia, 35mm long, with replacement O-ring and a blue male connector plug. Im assuming it goes somewhere on the Coolant return pipe? (but to be honest, im guessing).

If anyone has any other suggestions about what causes it to start perfectly when cold but needs to turnover at least 9 or 10 times when hot, I am all ears. Seeing as how the replacement sensor was only about £12 Quid, I thought id give it a go anyway.

Cheers

Rob.

if its an intake temp sennsor id imagine it should go along one of the intake pipes b4 the throttle body

andy.

Look at the front right of the engine, underneath the intake manifold bends at the front of the engine on the right hand side. (got that?) The blue temperature sensor is housed along with a yellow and black temp sensor which are all plugged into the thermostat housing. If you know where the thermostat housing is then great, otherwise look under the distributor or follow the coolant pipes that go into the right hand side of the engine (looking from the front of the car). You will find the temp sensors are covered by a plastic black sheild. Pull this to the right, it will come off with enough force leaving you looking at the temp sensors. Its then just a matter of quickly swapping them, hopefully without losing too much coolant.

Hope that helps, you're probably confused now

ta

timo

Thanks Timo,

Found the sensors, changed the blue one as suggested, but problem still not fixed. Still a bug*er to start when engine is hot. Any idea what the other two sensors either side of the blue one monitor? Is it worth changing these you think? or am I throwing more money blindly away?!.

Cheers

Rob.

black is for the temp gauge... 8)

Dunno what the yellow one does... :|

Thanks Timo,

Found the sensors, changed the blue one as suggested, but problem still not fixed. Still a bug*er to start when engine is hot. Any idea what the other two sensors either side of the blue one monitor? Is it worth changing these you think? or am I throwing more money blindly away?!.

Cheers

Rob.

Rob. What car is this? If its a VR6, then the sensor that should have been your problem is to the right of the intake manifold, near the coil pack, facing to the right. Part No is 046 905 379 - it opens and closes the choke if I remember correctly.

Another thing. After you have changed it, you have to disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour and connect up again on a cold engine. This will enable the ECU to recapture the primary cold settings. Train the ECU by driving it through a range of speeds and loads. When hot- stop the car. Let it sit for 1/2 hour again and start again. If it still hunts, then tap the throttle body. Failing that you will need a VAGCOM or VAG1551 review undertaken.

black is for the temp gauge... 8)

Dunno what the yellow one does... :|

The black one is the air conditioning. If you dont have air con then this sensor isn't used. The yellow one is for the temp gauge in the instrument panel.

That's what I have read in other post and from my Bentley Manual :lol:

timo