okcid

TFSI Conversion....What gearbox will work?

As above guys, picking up a CDL TFSI Engine (265bhp S3/SciroccoR) next week to give my car a little power upgrade

Currently running with a g60 lump but this is now being broken for sale to help fund the project.

Want a 6 speed manual box for the conversion, any ideas as to which box will be best?

Thank in advance

Edited by okcid

This is good one to watch,im scrapping my 1.8t project as ill prob go same route as you! still in the collecting info stage.

You running the high pressure injection system?

No idea about the box,think it would be best to run one that comes with the engine and get custom driveshafts

6sp 02M from a TDI, or a Leon 02M but with TDI final drives. You don't want an 02Q (very late) because it uses the ABS sensors for vehicle speed (clocks and factory ECU required) instead of a gearbox sender.

You will need a gearbox mount bracket (google "Dutchdub 02M"), relocation of the gearbox mount cup (cut off and reweld a few inches to the left basically) and different driveshafts. I believe an Audi S3 shaft bolts straight on on one side and the long side needs an inch taking off. Or you can buy "02M conversion" driveshaft / CV sets from the Driveshaft Shop, but these can take considerably more grunt than the VAG ones, so if you're planning on big grunt.....

thanks kev thats great advice.

I am going to be using the qpeng plug and play kit £1k ish. Kev they advised me at qpeng i won't need the clocks as they will modify the new loom to utilise my mk2 clocks and i will be running the factory ECU. Will this mean i could use the 02Q box if one happens to come up?

This lets me run the engine as it is with the standard ECU and dbw.

Think they also provide their own custom map which is an upgrade from the standard 265 bhp.

I know the revo map is 300bhp and should be reliable power as the engine i am buying has only covered 1200miles :)

Think 300 is enough to start with through the front wheels and should be a good little sleeper. Think i might invest in the following if i decide to take the 02M 6sp box

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qdf13r-0

Just need to sell my engine in the next 10 days, looks like i'm going to be breaking it :( Went out in it earlyer and i'm still in love with it, Goes like stink now with the new charger and other new bits.

Just have to keep thinking what it will be like with the TFSI :cheers:

P1841_10-05-11.jpg

The intercooler was a mission to get to fit nice so not looking forward to fitting an even bigger one when i've got the bigger TFSI lump in :scratch:

Edited by okcid

Ok little update

A guy called me up on Friday morning about 10ish and advised me he wanted the whole engine. Good news!!!

Apart from the fact the car was over 30 miles away and the cars fully running. He wanted to pick up the engine on Sunday morning :suprised:

P184203_10-05-11.jpg

So i got up, stuck on some old clothes and set about the journey to my garage in Devon.

With no help i set about removing my G60 engine armed with nothing but a halfords professional tool kit and a small tool box (the sort of tool kit the mrs keeps around the house for small bits and bobs)

I arrived at 11ish and got stuck in.

P1138_13-05-11.jpg

All went pretty well actually and made good progress. Had to nip over to halfords and buy a cheap "lift kit" as the call it. Comprised of trolly jack, axel stands, wheel blocks and a padded car creeper. £44, bargain!

P1433_13-05-11.jpg

front end off i have good access to all the hard to reach sensors.

P1322_13-05-11.jpg

P143301_13-05-11.jpg

Wiring was something i was worried about on the journey over to the car. I've never done anything like this before so didn't know what to expect. I've removed the charger on the car and changed a set of break pads before so this was set to be an interesting experience.

I like to think i'm a logical thinker and after a few head scratching moments i managed to sort as much as poss with the engine still in situ.

I was going to pop out the drive shafts but all my suspension (if completely honest) was well overdue an update and everything seemed to be stuck solid.

P1424_14-05-11.jpg

The boot looks a little twisted aye :rolleyes:

Anyway a bit of encouragement from mr lump hammer and it gave up the ghost. Wasn't too fussed about being a bit heavy handed as it's all going to be replaced for nice new stuff during the conversion.

During the day i was phoning round trying to source parts to aid me with the removal.

A trip to Exeter GSF later i was had a 12 spline 800mm bar to remove the 6 drive shaft bolts each side. 1st side went perfect but passanger side bloody rounded off so out came mr lump again. :) out they came.

P142202_14-05-11.jpg

P142201_14-05-11.jpg

thankfully a few calls and a few favors later 3 kind mates turned up with a engine crane borrowed from Ford (haha thanks Ford)

P145901_14-05-11.jpg

As you can see in the pic, instead of supporting the engine at the front when putting it up on the axel stands i decided to put the front crossmember back in and get the crane to support the whole engine. Then i took the front cross member back off.

P1459_14-05-11.jpg

P152201_14-05-11.jpg

P1522_14-05-11.jpg

Then the moment of truth, fingers crossed. This was probably when i come across other things i'd forgotten to undo.

P1606_14-05-11.jpg

Nope....it just slid straight out!! HAHA, happy days and time for a fag :thumbleft:

It worked quite well, i undid the downpipe in the centre and thought we would have to riggle the engine around to lift off the studs but when i undid the rear engine mount the engine dropped at the front and it popped off.

P1658_14-05-11.jpg

The dreaded wiring proved to be me worrying about nothing. 10 mins and i had removed a couple of bits and bobs QPENG advised i need to keep and it was out.

WoW, didn't think it would be out so soon, not bad considering my lack of experience. Well i like to think so anyway :cheers:

P1310_15-05-11.jpg

So Sunday came and it was actually pretty sad seeing my engine being taken away by the new owner. You get to know all the ins and outs of your engine and now it feels daunting not knowing this about the new engine.

Sad day for me but lets look forward now.

I'm off to pick up my new TFSI lump this Sunday from Newcastle!! Going to be a bloody long drive but worth it.

I did consider palleting it down to me but i agreed with the current owner it will be good for me to be there as i can make sure i get everything i need. Plus it will only cost me about another 30 quid in fuel.

This will not be a quick conversion for me but i'm keen to do as much as possible my self. The cars going to be fully resprayed, new suspension and steering parts, 4 pots, exhaust system, engine, gearbox, all the wiring, intercooler etc.

Edited by okcid