Sam.l

Leaks!

Hey all, my 91 g60 has been leaking coolant for some time and have not been able to pinpoint where at all. After a drive I can actually see it dripping from the right side of the engine if standing from the front. I'm wondering whether it could be hose/pipe from the bottom right hand side of the radiator as that's where it looks like it's dripping from though I think It could also be the plastic flange seal and o-ring on the right hand side on the head. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and does anyone know if any any of these items are still available from the dealers or GSF etc and what the part numbers are? I'm thinking I need the flange and o-ring on the right hand side of the head and possibly the one at the front with the 2 temp sensors going into it to be safe. And also any clips and possibly hoses/pipes to and from the radiator? Sorry for the length of this, thanks for reading! Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Sam.

mine went during the really cold weather we had. It was minus 12 and i guess the sudden warming up split it.

Looking at ETKA it appears the flange comes with a sealing ring and the part number is 026 121 144 E or if yours has air conditioning its 068 121 144.

If you only need the eal ring it's 037 121 687.

Might stand corrected about the above but think thats right.

I got the pipe from TPS and think it was about £18

Think some of the pipes are obsolete but gsf or tps should be able to get them.

hope that helps :)

you can get these parts from VW and there not expensive.

can you see any coolant marks on the block i.e. rusty or pinkie looking marks from where it may have been leaking.

theres also a metal pipe which goes from the flange area on the right hand side of the engine down past the front of the engine, this may have corroaded.

have a look on the bottom right hand side of the rad (looking into the bay) theres a small hose which connects to another metal pipe. mines got a small leak from there but i think thats due to the cr#p fitment of the samco hose.

Great thanks guys, will give the local dealers a call and try and get hold of the flange and o-ring. Does anyone have a part number for any of the radiator pipes/pipes? There is a little of what looks like water corrosion/crystallised water around and underneath the flange so would like to change it anyway, although I can't really see any fresh residue from here so thought it might be somewhere near the radiator. Is changing the flange a hard job or just an take off, put back in kinda thing? Thanks a lot peeps.

Thanks okcid for the part numbers, managed to get the o-ring seal today and ordered the flange. The lower rad hose has been discontinued so will try GSF or tps for that. I hope this will stop the coolant leak!

yeah also phoned about the lower rad hose today and was told it was discontinued.

if its the one which goes between the metal hose and the water pump its only a short straight length of hose about 2 inch long im sure you could get this from a motor factors.

Managed to get the flange on order so wanted to get this done over the weekend, is changing it a hard job or take off put back on kinda thing?

yeah just bolt on and off, mine has also sprung a leak! theres always something with a rado! think its the water pump, got all the bits though and geting sorted on monday!