Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

Is it possible to fit front calipers to the rear....

I don't think it's possible as there is no mechanism for the handbrake at all.... :?

Without a seperate handbrake mechanism your car will never pass an MOT... :|

rally cars use a hydrolic handbrak mech, there is no reason that you could not use a hydrolic lever, although it would need a ratchet (which rally cars dont have) - I cant think how/if a 'normal' handbrake is used. I guess that you would need a few one way valves to stop the handbrake acting on the front calips/mastercylinder, and also to stop the foot break acting on the handbrake cyl.

I guess you would need some bracketry made up to hold the rear caliper.

I have know idea how this would all come together in practice, in terms of byasing etc....those would be pretty big back grakes, that will never get used any where near to the max

A hydrolic mech did seem the only way in my mind, therefore it must be possible. Just thinking ahead as come the end of the year I want to move my from calipers to the rear to make way for larger items for the front.

Anyone fitted a hydrolic handbrake setup before????

Didnt 16vg60 have something like this, brembos on the front and his old fronts on the rear? I seem to remember he done a kit but it wasnt cheap.

is this for road or track use?

the current items are more than capable of locking the back wheels with any road tyre if u have your bias adjuster disconnected!

Why not use a variable bias adjuster to see if you can improve the current setup.

With more stopping power up front, the back wheels will be even more prone to locking up (unless u are doing silly speeds or u have sticky track tyres)

Didnt 16vg60 have something like this, brembos on the front and his old fronts on the rear? I seem to remember he done a kit but it wasnt cheap.

these were 280mm front discs using tt calipers. and custom hubs...

The seat leon cupra has 280mm discs on the back.this should fit onto a corrado no probs but it would be 5stud

if you go for a hydraulic handbrake it has to run on a totally seperate hydraulic system to the main brakes. The handbrake is also seen as an emergency brake via MOT regs and as such (as I understand it) it has to be activated in a completely seperate manner to the road brakes which would mean having a seperate caliper mechanism to work with the handbrake else it'll be sharing part of the hydraulic system. :|

Seat leon conversion sounds like the way to go... 8)

they have a drum brake in the middle of the disk (or at least that's how the 911 rears worked...) 8)

Don't forget that Porsches are rear wheel drive though! ;)

they have a drum brake in the middle of the disk (or at least that's how the 911 rears worked...) 8)

Don't forget that Porsches are rear wheel drive though! ;)

Bear in mind mine is 4wd and will be running around 400bhp! I've got brembo/Porsche 4-pots with the Seat 305mm discs at the front and mk4 calipers with 256mm at the rear at the moment, but I'm looking to upgrade.. I wanted to stick my fronts to the back with 310-330mm discs and have 4 or 6 pots up front with 355mm discs. Just researching at the moment.

'' mk4 calipers with 256mm at the rear ''

is this striaght forward, 'just bolts' on or is it more than this, plus wont it be 5 stud.? :?

'' mk4 calipers with 256mm at the rear ''

is this striaght forward, 'just bolts' on or is it more than this, plus wont it be 5 stud.? :?

Its a straight swop as far as I know for 4-stud corrado's , you need:

mk4 golf rear calipers,

mk4 golf to mk2 braided hose (to do with the fittings, it is needed),

..as far as I know standard rear brackets (i'm 4wd so I'm using rallye items)

mk4 polo front 256mm solid discs, which are 4 stud (watch out because there are a number of different front discs @ this size, the ones you need have a big offset, I'll get the German + Swedish part no. asap, but they are only about £6 each!

C&R Enterprices did do a kit for about £150-200, not sure if they still do.

Hope this helps..