quicky1980

Electric Steering

i was looking into that too! would be nice to have electric power steering on rado but would there be any space on a rado one? cramped as it is!

The Electric steering on the missus's Polo feels pretty good actually. The weight and 'mechanical' feel are still there and the lack of whirring / whining noises whilst parking is weird at first!! That system uses a motor instead of a mechanical pump but the column mounted PAS feels weird imo.

Evo Magazine came up with a great analogy. Normal assisted steering :- Imagine pushing an object across a table, regular PAS is like a second hand pushing your arm to help you. Column mounted motor:- Imagine pushing the same object across the table, but this time a second hand is pulling the object away from you.

In other words, ther column mounted PAS just takes over and feels very synthetic.

I don't know if you had column PAS in mind specifically, but maybe try a couple of cars with it fitted and see how it feels?

What about at different road speeds, do hydraulic systems feel heavier due to engine speeds increase (ie at 3000rpm on the motorway) or do they have no affect to feel. how does that compare to electric systems, as my understanding is at low road speeds the steering is lighter and when at higher road speeds the steering becomes a little/allot heavier (or am i talking nonesence?)

no quicky your correct,there are lots of cars that come with speed senstive PAS. nothing worse that have twitchy steering at motorway speeds.