4eyes2wheels

Price for paintwork

Like many a Corrado, my VR6 has many stone chips on the front end. Also the front bumper has a nasty hole behind the number plate where the previous owner appears to have run into a tow bar. The front wings both have small dings in them too.

So, as I occassionally park outside a local body shop I called them up today and asked them to have a look and give me a quote for sorting out the front end.

They popped out, had a look and called me back saying to sort the dings, plastic weld the bumper and respray the two wings, bonnet and bumper - £650.

Does this sound right? I've never had any body work done so I have no frame of reference.

Sounds slightly high IMHO. I was recently quoted £350 to do both front wings, a-pillars + roof, tailgate (just the part under the spoiler). This quote was from a very good bodyshop.

depends on the products and processed used. As a ball park figure I would say its OK (£1000 or £200 would both be very wrong).

Wings, are they going to spend time getting the dings out or just knocked them back a bit and use filler?

How deep are the bonnet chips? Are they going back to bare metal or going to fill and smooth?

What primer, paint, lacquers do they use? (though the answers might not mean anything to you they should spend time explaining)

You could spend some time getting other quotes and talking to the bodyshops about what they envisage needing doing and what paint etc they use... or you could just go with the one quote you have and get on with the rest of your life (keeping fingers crossed they do a good job)

Thanks, sounds like for "down south" and "non mates rates" they are in the right ball park. Neither worryingly expensive or cheap. I need to let the finances recover from the final summer holiday payment and the looming spectre of the Olympic ticket money leaving my bank account before taking it any further. Then it's a decision of keep this one and carry on lavishing attention (paint, exhaust, leather perhaps) or selling and buying a finished article.

Thanks all!

I'm confused, you said the FRONT bumper has a nasty hole where a PO used a towbar?

So he was towing the Corrado with something else, and didn't think to use the towing eyes?

BM - run into a tow bar!

Quote sounds spot on, if you know the work is good then go for it - very important to keep the the front end in top condition as stone chips that are untreated can soon start to rust