chrisspencer

VR starts, runs for a second then cuts out.......

Hi all,

I went out for a spin in the VR6 yesterday (which i use daily) and it was running as normal. Then i went to go out in it again that evening to find it started and as i went to pull off it cut out. It now starts runs for a second or two then cuts out, the revs fluctuate in the process.. Just had a every quick look, i think i can hear the fuel pump priming when i turn the ignition on. I have noticed to the left of the block there is a breather pipe that has split in two. Thinking maybe a air leak? I will investigate more but would be very grateful of any advice as its a fairly new car and i am still learning the engie layout!

Many Thanks

Chris

Thanks jim, i'm still suss'ing my way around, I have a toad immobiliser and alarm (which replaced a clifford one). would this affect the outcome?

I'll have a quick read of that thread!

Yours is a late VR so will have this, irrespective of what aftermarket alarm / immobiliser you have. The symptoms are quite classic. If it starts and seems to run normally (i.e. level idle) then just immediately stops for no reason, then it's almost a dead cert to be this!

Sorry for sounding a complete novice (maybe because i am!) but i dont have a key with a fob on it, its just a old school VW key.. sounds different to that thread, is that the case? or can i go get my hands dirty :)

Does your key have the pressable VW logo with a little torch in it?

no, its the same as the mk1 golf style key, its not a original vw one though its a after market cut one by a company called silca. so possible that the orginial was the push button maybe..

Hmm... your year of VR should have the immobiliser though so that's a bit confusing. I'd still suggest having a go at this - only takes a few minutes to get the dash undertray out!

i'm donning the scruffs as i type.. i understand that i'm looking for a loose/rusty spade connection? Thank you very much for your help its appreciated!! :)

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Cracked it!! just got back from a celebratory drive!! was exactly that, droped the dash undertray and there was a dangling spade connector not plugged into anything! There trickiest bit was putting the undertray back in! I'm a very happy bunny after being sulky all day at work- thanks again!