VW_OwneR_85

clanky noise, help in identifying it!

im normaly prety good with noises, but this is annoying! its kinda like a clanky donk kinda sound comming from the front drivers side middle ish area,directly beneath the dash/engine bay,iv noticed it will do it when i go over a bump at slow speed {3mph} whilst turning,does not do it whilst stationary turning left-right ,ive recently replaced the wishbones and arb droplinks and ball joints on the tierod and wishbones i double checked all these bolts today and there tight! noise was there before i did them, im fairly certain its not my arb bushs but they do need doing anyway, my wheels have no play,im all out of ideas! so i guess ill replace the arb bushs as a proccess of elimination!!! at first i kinda thought it was a loose subframe! but the bolts tight!, argghh

not sure if it would cause it but maby worth checking the bolts from the driveshaft to the gearbox are tight.

I had similar when my top mount bearings wore out. Whole strut rocked laterally. Try lifting car up with hands under wheel arches.

i changed the top mounts and bearings on the drivers side when i did the wishbones but when i did the passenger side i didnt bother as i didnt have enough time and the driverside wasnt to bad tbh, but i'll give it a lift on that side anyway, i'll check the driveshaft bolts aswell,when i was under the car checking things iv also noticed the gear box flanges {output flanges?}that the driveshafts bolts to has leaked gearbox oil,you can see oil spray on the down pipe, is it a big job to replace them seals? is it possible to do it with the gearbox still in the car? thanks...

ive got a knock on mine changed both wishbones,track rods,tierods,top mounts,outer cv joints,drop links but it still knocks at low speed over speed bumps

ive got a knock on mine changed both wishbones,track rods,tierods,top mounts,outer cv joints,drop links but it still knocks at low speed over speed bumps

anti roll bar bushs i recon, if its just a knock,

yea those are the ones,i planned on replaceing them the same time i did the wishbones but when i had a good look at them it didnt look as easy as i first thought, looks like you got to drop the rear of the subframe down an inch or two to get access to the buggers, i did them on my old mk4 golf a few months back and it wasnt hard and made a massive difference basicaly made driveing realy smooth over bumps,but you didnt have to drop the subframe to get to them on the mk4 golf access was fairly good,

think i have found out what the noise could be, after renewing the outer passenger cv joint this morning, i found that the gear box output flange as about 3mm in and out movement which makes that kinda noise, not sure if it would be loud enough though for me to hear it inside the car though.