Rams

Pulling to the left under load

Hi there

I have been wondering whats going on with my car as the last time I drove on the motor way I felt I had to keep steering right to keep the car in a straight line. I had the goms done by a special leazer machine where they adjusted camer etc. The car is driving straight with the steering wheel being straight, then if I put the car under load, it pulls to the left.

I have had all my suspesnion bushes uprated with new polly wishbone bushes, new top mounts, oem, new eibach arb with new polly bushes and the track rod ends and ball joints were replaced about 11 months ago.....

I seem to get a bit of clunking on the steering on my right shock when turning on the spot but thought it was just the spring making the noise as there are no helper springs.

Any ideas? Maybe I need to get it on the ramp or go back to the place that set the geoms up?

Hi mate,

I think the clunking noises are the clue. Sounds like a link of some kinds playing up. Start by looking at things like the ARB links as that's definately something that can clank without your wheels actually falling off. Possibility it could be a shot damper. If it's pulling to one side under acceleration then something is moving about down there - if it was the alignment I think you'd notice it all the time ?

sounds like the drivetrains pulling the car to the left rather than suspension,{could be wrong get an alignment check} as it drives straight without throttle, either way i would jack it up and have a good nose, clunking sounds like your top mount bearing{as you have replaced the top mounts} these can seize up and basicaly when you turn your spring will wont turn freely, easy to identify whilst parked in neutral just turn left/right and have someone look at the springs at the same time, probably best to get it your tracking alignment checked anyway,

if you've had all that stuff replaced recently then i would be checking out the CV joints.

do you gte more clicking.clanking when the car is on full steering lock one way or the other?

that would be an easy way to check.

it's certainly worth checking over all the other stuff just to make sure, but my guess would be one of the passenger CV joints...

i tightened up the wishbones as these were not that tight, after reading up that they should be 130 nm, they needed a few cranks which seems to have sorted the pulling under load. I am still getting a clunk when steering but it does sound like the spring relocating. Sounds worse of the driver side when steering on the spot. The dampner adjuster does seem more slack on the top that the passenger side but this should make any difference?

The gaz gold coilovers do not come with helper springs and im wondering if thats part of my issue. The CV joints have not been replaced and my driveshafts looks very old. I might get some new driveshafts as I do get a bit of vibration through the gear stick, especially in 1st. Will update this once they are changed.

I need to find out if I can fit the helper springs to my suspension. I also had another noise when taking bends quite fast, noticed some shiney metal around my driveshaft and its been rubbing the chassis leg. I have spoken to a a chap that does notching so the chassis will be cut out and welded to give some extra space on the drivers side.

I had this issue with poly wishbones and never got it sorted after various allignment sessions at Stealth etc - only got fixed when I went back to new standard ones with TT bushes