Peter Harper

Possible dodgy MOT... can anyone give me some advice

I just recently swapped my Golf for a Corrado, all seemed well with it... he said it flew through its MOT etc... and there was no rust

so, did the swap and I got my corrado... still kept in touch with the lad because he wants my boot lid I have spare for the Golf, but when I got back and it rained I noticed the wipers weren't clearing right... so both me and my dad who was with me were saying "not sure how this flew through an MOT like that"

and the exhauat was blowing, so i've been a bit soft on it because it didn't feel right and as I was just about to go pickup a mate, the brake pedal just sunk straight into the floor and I had no brakes... looks like one of the brake lines are corroded and just burst

on my last Golf it got pulled right away for the brake lines being corroded and said they had to be replaced... so I can only assume the guys MOT'd it with his eyes closed, it's a brand new ticket on it

anyone any ideas on what I should do?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated

Sorry to hear this. Know exactly how you feel as i had an issue with dodgy car when i bought mine.

I would contact the seller to begin with and see if you can get any sort of refund out of him. Also the MOT station. Surely there must be some sort of ombudsmen or government department who looks after mot stations?

Im sure someone will give some more informed info than i have.

Yea I was having a look then at its past MOT's

the one it had before the lad got it, it failed on blowing exhaust/headlamp not being on right (which it still isn't) and the brake load sensing valve being siezed, but then it's got a pass both times and I have the pass certificate

I think i'll email the guy and tell him what has happened, then see what he says and the garage, then I will probably have to go down the police/vosa route

thanks for the advice everyone

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

I hope they can do something, I mean if it had been a few months since it had its MOT then I could understand things going... but surely when they see it got an MOT on like the 17th of last month and the brake lines look battered they should say it would have been picked up on?

If it failed for blowing exhaust and dodgy light, but it then has passed mot certs however the faults are still there id be thinking dodgy mot cert too. And as you say brake pipes dont rust in a few weeks.

sigh

lol... busy day tomorrow then, chasing up this garage etc, just when I was really starting to enjoy driving the car as well

cheers everyone for the help

Had this a while ago with a vehicle I bought. Call VOSA and speak to them, report the issue and the garage that carried out the MOT. They will then investigate the garage and based on the number of warning points the garage allready has, they will take appropriate action.

The highly ammusing part is though, you cannot remove that MOT. Even if your car is falling apart on the seams, if its been given an MOT - its got an MOT for a year :lol: They cant withdraw it.

My worry with that is that I wanted to sell my vehicle on, as it was no use to me in its condition and was dangerous, but for that reason I didnt want anyone else to simply ignore my words and drive it anyway because it had this MOT on it, VOSA wouldnt cancel it. Stupid if you ask me.