Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

My New VR6

Hi Everyone,

Picked up my new VR6 on Monday and on the drive home spotted a few problems.

1/ The Rear Wash Wipe doesn't work.

The pump makes all the right noises, the wiper moves but no water squirts out. :(

2/ The passenger side mirror doesn't work.

No movement or noise when try to move it with the switch. :(

3/ Heater direction doesn't work.

I've read the thread about Passat controls being interchangeable. I'll probably get this sorted ok.

4/ ABS light doesn't work.

Checked the connections on the light, all ok. Any ideas??

5/ MFA display doesn't light up.

Rest of the dash lights up fine.

6/ Heater controls don't light up.

The centre knob does, dimly, but the other two don't. When I pull the knobs off, there is light coming through from behind.

Other than that, very happy. Drives like a completely different car to my old 16v.

And pulls like a train.

Had a minor tussle with a Celica GT4 on the drive from Huntigdon to Glasgow.

Poor guy couldn't keep up at all!! :D

One last thing, the headlight height adjustment switch has a blanking plate over it. Was this an optional extra??

It's a late 95 VR6 btw.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! :D

there is only one bulb for the heater controls so that seems ok

and UK C's never had H/Light adjustment the adjustment wheel on the H/light switch is the instrument panel rheostat(aka dimmer)

Regarding point 4, plug a diagnostic computer into the car and have it check the ABS system - either an official VAG1551 scan tool or VAG-COM on a laptop PC. You will have to go to a garage for this I would guess. Sounds like the ABS light should be reporting a fault but maybe the bulbs gone. If you're lucky the fault is simply a wheel sensor which are inexpensive to replace. If you're unlucky the fault will lie with the ABS pump itself. Which erm, isnt :?

Point6 - I also get the centre dial illuminted on my car, but the left and right dials are extremely faint. I live with it.

As to the others - there will be people on the forum far better qualified than me to comment, so I'll leave it to them. Welcome to VR6 ownership :)

1) check that there's no wet patches in the boot! The pipe sometimes breaks where it goes into the boot lid between the hinges and so no water actually ever gets to the rear washer jet....

2) take the switch outta it's surround and check that the plugs are all plugged in OK... If they are, I think that you can swap the 2 mirror plugs over (it's a while since I tried this, so I may be wrong on this) to see if it's the switch that's dead, or if it's the mirror motor/wiring... The later switches sometimes get corroded up inside due to water falling on them when it's raining and the door being opened to get into the car! :roll:

3) yup, there's a thread about these that gives all the details you'll probably need.... 8)

4) dead bulb?!? get the car upto speed on a nice straight bit of gravelled road and stomp on the brakes to see if the ABS kicks in....

5) dead bulb... take the clocks out (only 6 screws, 2 plastic covers and one multiplug to undo!) and change the bulb... I'd advise doing all 5 while you're in there so you won't have to do it again anytime soon! ;)

6) yup, they're crap on the later models... :roll: May possibly need cleaning up, but if you go with the Passat controls mod, then that'll probably sort this one too... 8)

Hope this helps... and congrats on the new VR... 8)

Thanks for the advice guys particularly Henny.

I'll have my man take a look at those points :lol:

vr6storm: My old 16v had the height adjustable headlights and was a full UK spec car. Maybe an optional extra?

JoeNose: I'm gonna get a diagnostic analysis from VW. Hopefully just the bulb's gone. Though the ABS does seem to cut in intermittently :?:

Belfastfumanchu: Thanks. Hope the old girl's going well! I was missing her until I picked up my new baby, since then I can't stop grinning. :lol: I'm NEVER selling this one :D