Portent

Need an immobiliser - is a cat 1 alarm worth the extra over a cat 2 immobiliser?

The car currently doesn't have an alarm or immobiliser but does have Right Click keyless entry. I need to get an immobiliser fitted quickly.

Is a cat 1 alarm worth the extra over just an immobiliser? It's about twice the price and I'm not certian if anybody even bats an eyelid anymore when one goes off?

No. Aftermarket cat 1 alarms are a waste of time IMO. They just add complication and messy wiring, go off when you don't want them to, and are ignored by everyone anyway.

Tbh aftermarket immobilisers are questionable enough, since the fitters usually do a complete hack-job on the wiring, but you don't usually have a choice because of insurance. Pick a decent brand, and if you can go to a fitter that you trust. Clifford Virtualkey is quite good because it uses an RFID transponder like the factory immo's do so there's no messing around with stupid extra plugs before you start the car.

My solution these days is to swap in an engine that has a built in transponder immobiliser :D

The thing is with a CAT1 even if one goes off you cant help but to look at the car. This is attention the theives dont want. Its not about people caring, its about getting attention to the vehicle. Plus when my car is parked outside and the alarm goes off, i have an opportunity to investigate, rather then not be aware and some scroat can take their time in rummaging through my car - not necessarily steal the car.

Just my 2p.

No. Aftermarket cat 1 alarms are a waste of time IMO. They just add complication and messy wiring, go off when you don't want them to, and are ignored by everyone anyway.

Tbh aftermarket immobilisers are questionable enough, since the fitters usually do a complete hack-job on the wiring, but you don't usually have a choice because of insurance. Pick a decent brand, and if you can go to a fitter that you trust. Clifford Virtualkey is quite good because it uses an RFID transponder like the factory immo's do so there's no messing around with stupid extra plugs before you start the car.

My solution these days is to swap in an engine that has a built in transponder immobiliser :D

Valid points. But an engine swap isn't an option at this point in time :D

The thing is with a CAT1 even if one goes off you cant help but to look at the car. This is attention the theives dont want. Its not about people caring, its about getting attention to the vehicle. Plus when my car is parked outside and the alarm goes off, i have an opportunity to investigate, rather then not be aware and some scroat can take their time in rummaging through my car - not necessarily steal the car.

Just my 2p.

More good points. I think I'd prefer to hear the alarm going off and have the chance to look outside. Think I'll pay the extra.

Thanks both.

Personally i think thats a wise choice. Plus will cover you later on if you change insurance companies nad they require a CAT 1 to be fitted.

personally i would only ever have a cat1 alarm fitted, i had a hornet (old sigma) fitted 2 weeks ago for £185, plus the insurance company would not insure the car without one fitted.

As an alarm installer, Thatcham alarms are very rarely recognised by insurers anymore but some do require them in some instances, more so on the jap cars that are most often stolen.

Clifford are probably one of the main runners in the alarm market, I have a Clifford Concept 650mkii fitted to my VR6 which is a Cat1 alarm.

More so now days the theives are entering your house and taking the keys which means it does not matter what alarm you have because they have the remote/fob to disable your pride and joy!!!!!

A solution to this is Cliffords BLACKJAX system which comes as stand alone or included in the Concept 650mkii, this works by requesting your valet code be entered every time the doors are opened, so if your hijacked at traffic lights or your keys stolen the thief will only get so far before the car flashes its lights sounds the siren and comes to a complete stop, and can only be restarted by entering the valet code.

The valet code is normally 4 digits but can be programmed to any number such as 12, 11 etc, something easy for you to remember.

Some people dont like entering the number everytime they open a door, but at least even if your keys are stolen you know your car will only be at the end of the street for you to recover.

The stand alone unit means no remotes or keyfobs just a blue LED and 2 button keypad about the size of a 10p piece on the dashboard