TimDoc

Running lumpy, VAGCOM no faults - need advice

Please read on if you are experienced in diagnostics - will appreciate the advice...

... For around the last month I have had the following ...

Lumpy on start, also at idle and low revs, nearly stalling on pulling away, better at higher revs but reduced power definitely throughout.

Almost like its firing on 5 only. Exhaust is not popping but sounds like a steam train.

Running at normal temperatures. MPG is down at best from 31 to around 24.

VAGCOM = no faults

New plugs and good quality leads fitted today (plugs in 4 of the cylinders were really dirty with gritty oil on them)

Oil/water+coolant all normal levels.

Inspection of coil pack - no cracks etc. All cables inspected leading to coil pack and engine sensors - no cracks/worn parts visible.

When the engine is running, there is a visible exaggerated shudder in its movement that is regular.

Looking to sell the car shortly so need to get this sorted asap and don't really want to give it to the main stealers as they'll charge me to go looking for hours and hours!

Could this be a valve that has broken/stuck, coilpack broken?

I seem to remember you can test the coil pack by taking the other ends of the HT leads one at a time and holding them against the block with a pair of insulated pliers?? Anyone done this?

Would really appreciate your advice!

Thankyou in advance

Tim

could this be anything to do with the three sensors in the coolant system at the end of the crack pipe? And if so would this show up on VAGCOM in a 93 VR6?

T

i think it is overfuelling if it pops, so getting small fuel burns in the exhaust?? Not sure - need someone to confirm this.

T

right - progression, mate of mine suggested to isolate the cylinder causing the problem you remove each HT lead one at a time with the engine running (at the coil pack end) and see whether the engine stutters more. Did so (without getting electrocuted) and the only one not to cause the engine to stutter was cylinder 2. So with new leads and plugs today it is most probably the coil pack - exactly the item i had a spare of on the shelve until last month when i sold it - damn!

Could this be anything else further back in the system before the coil pack??

Is there anyone around bath or salisbury/tidworth who would be willing to do a quick diagnostic transplant to see if that is the culprit? Or anyone with a spare on the shelf willing to let it go.

Tim

Edited by TimDoc

Well i've got the same symptoms as you I replaced the leads and coilpack but not the plugs, so i'm guessing the coilpack I replaced is infact fine!

Let me know if you want it.

sorry to hijack thread again

but my vr when i remove the lead 2nd row 1st lead coil pack side car starts shaking and goes off? whats that faulty the coil or lead?

also one of my plugs were black , and the rest are all in good nick

Andrew 30 - would you be willing to post it to Bath and I will cover costs for P&P and pay you an afore agreed sum should it solve the problem?

Hawwy - its the lead that you remove that doesn't unsettle the engine that denotes the gammy cylinder/part of coil pack. The state of my plugs varied massively cylinder to cylinder, one was nearly completely clean, one was blackened, one was charred, two were covered in gritty oily crap (worrying re cause?) the other was pretty standard. I wouldn't worry about the state of the plugs in these old cars unless looking for the cause of loss of oil (someone with more experience correct me if i am wrong).

Tim

Andrew 30 - would you be willing to post it to Bath and I will cover costs for P&P and pay you an afore agreed sum should it solve the problem?

Hawwy - its the lead that you remove that doesn't unsettle the engine that denotes the gammy cylinder/part of coil pack. The state of my plugs varied massively cylinder to cylinder, one was nearly completely clean, one was blackened, one was charred, two were covered in gritty oily crap (worrying re cause?) the other was pretty standard. I wouldn't worry about the state of the plugs in these old cars unless looking for the cause of loss of oil (someone with more experience correct me if i am wrong).

Tim

I've got the box the new one came in so thats no problem, let me know what you've got in mind!

Tim

i dont understand whats youre trying to say, the leads are faulty?

I've got the box the new one came in so thats no problem, let me know what you've got in mind!

ANDREW 30, if you would be willing to sell your old coilpack i would be keen to try it on the car and check there are no issues with it, i would pay the postage to here and then if it works fine would buy it from you (with your agreement) for a sum that we agree beforehand. If you are keen to keep it just in case your current one dies then i understand! Give me a call - PM'd you my number.

Tim

Went over to GSF today, picked up a Coilpack and fitted, ran smoothly for a bit, then whilst going uphill back to bath it dropped back to having half power and was crap again, 10minutes later, a further burst of normal power for around 20s followed by rubbishness again. What the hell is going on?

Also, got back, went to check which cylinder it was again by removing the leads one at a time from the coil, they wouldnt friggin come out! Gently does it, pulled in a straight line - it snapped at the bend. So, i have half the end of a lead and five other leads stuck in what i think is a new but broken coil and a massively aching fist where i took it out on a beam in the garage!

I just want the car sorted so i can sell it and buy a fin estate that can double as a family car, at the moment I am having to spend loads of money and it keeps friggin breaking.

Rant over!

Tim