Joss_Durnan

Changing gear under hard acceleration

I realise gear change issues seem to be the most common in this section - so apologies if I'm covering old ground - but I couldn't find much that was relevant with the search.

My VR6 changes gear fine most of the time, some times it crunches first if I've been sitting in neutral for a while and 'catch it off guard'. But the main issue is when I accelerate. If I give it full throttle, particularly in the lower gears, it's impossible to move from one gear to the next. It's like I hit a wall, and have to move the gear stick back into neutral before selecting the next gear.

I'm going to give the gear linkage adjustment a go, but that seemed more for when you can't get any gear at all, even at a standstill. I'd like to change the transmission oil too, but I couldn't find any guides on the forum. Could someone direct me to one? Ideally I'd have the Bentley manual - I'm assuming it covers things like oil changes - but I can't afford the £75 at the moment.

Cheers,

Joss

I realise gear change issues seem to be the most common in this section - so apologies if I'm covering old ground - but I couldn't find much that was relevant with the search.

My VR6 changes gear fine most of the time, some times it crunches first if I've been sitting in neutral for a while and 'catch it off guard'. But the main issue is when I accelerate. If I give it full throttle, particularly in the lower gears, it's impossible to move from one gear to the next. It's like I hit a wall, and have to move the gear stick back into neutral before selecting the next gear.

I'm going to give the gear linkage adjustment a go, but that seemed more for when you can't get any gear at all, even at a standstill. I'd like to change the transmission oil too, but I couldn't find any guides on the forum. Could someone direct me to one? Ideally I'd have the Bentley manual - I'm assuming it covers things like oil changes - but I can't afford the £75 at the moment.

Cheers,

Joss

On hard acceleration the engine mounts will give making the distance between the gear selector cables and the gearbox change, this can make it very difficult to change gear.

I assume that the gearbox shifter weight is still fitted on the shifter tower and is secured correctly? This can also contribute to a sloppy gear change.

Check for worn engine mounts by pushing the engine by hand, it shouldn't move much at all.

Finally it could be a worn clutch or dodgy clutch slave cylinder.

On hard acceleration the engine mounts will give making the distance between the gear selector cables and the gearbox change, this can make it very difficult to change gear.

I assume that the gearbox shifter weight is still fitted on the shifter tower and is secured correctly? This can also contribute to a sloppy gear change.

Check for worn engine mounts by pushing the engine by hand, it shouldn't move much at all.

Finally it could be a worn clutch or dodgy clutch slave cylinder.

Thanks for the info!

I have been suspecting that the engine mounts are worn, never thought that would have much affect on the gear change though. The engine does seem to shudder sometimes - for instance when I declutch at very low speeds - that's what lead me to think the mounts are starting to go.

I'll go out and give the engine a shake tomorrow. I've read the engine mounts are a fairly easy change, so that's good. They can't be more difficult than changing a Mini's anyway!

Mounts are not too bad but you will need to do all 3 at once or you will just wear out new mount/s too quickly through through one of the old ones still being fitted.

When you change them make sure you do the mount to subframe/gearbox/front crossmember side of the mount up tight first, stick the engine side of the bolts in and do them up by finger a couple of turns then give the engine a bloody good push a few times to get the engine to settle on the new mounts properly. This should ensure you get years from the replacment mounts and they don't wear out too quickly.