Macdaddy

Noisey fuel pump and erratic gauge

The VR6 started with an erratic fuel gauge a couple weeks ago and as i dont drive it everyday the other half does then its not an urgent job lol.

However the fuel pumps become noisey now and she claims its down on power!

Any thoughts? Ive got a long road trip to Inters this weekend and dont really fancy calling the AA out enroute!

I've searched and cant find specific to having both problems.

Should i change the filter or remove the pump and see if the sender and pump are covered in crap?

Sounds like the pump needs replacing. The gauge can be a few thinks, it cane be the sender on top of the pump - see if the contact the sender slides across has worn down and can cause issues with the gauge. There is also a chip/module (sorry forget its correct name) in the gauge which can go but ive tried it and it didnt work. Or it could be the gauge itself. But most likely to be the sender.

Though bear in mind that Corrado's are notorious for inaccurate fuel gauge. But it depends how inaccurate yours is.

In regards to the pump and sender, if you choose to change the pump you may need to change the sender to. Early corrados had piersburg pumps with the piersburg sender. Where as later had VDO pump and sender. Be warned also that the cap that sits in the top of the fuel tank that has the fuel lines from the front of the car attached can differ to the pump. My cap said Piersburg so i assumed it was a piersburg pump, thus i bought a piersburg sender. When infact the pump had been replaced at some point and was a VDO pump needing a VDO sender - £100 odd quid wasted on the Piersburg sender.

For sale if you need it. But i can imagine you'll need to change the pump if its whining and will no doubt be a VDO replacement.

I would swap the filter first just to see what happens, if you have a high mileage car that has not had a filter change yet then it will be a right mess.

The fuel gauging system is integral to the pump as critical mass mentions above but as you have had an erratic gauge and then fuel pump issues it is more likely to be a wiring snag in my book. Well worth having a look at the wiring first, you can carry out a continuity check from the fuel pump relay (position 12 on the fuse box) direct to the pump itself just to confirm there are no wiring snags.

The fuel gauge is damped by a voltafge regulator to prevent it from constantly moving when driving due to the fuel sloshing around in the tank, so just how is the fuel gauge erratic?

I'll change the fuel filter first off, apparently the car sounds and feels like its being strangled if over 3,000rpm.

Its done 180K and unsure of the last filter so as its cheap enough i'll do it anyway.

Fuel gauge was ok when we bought the car, but now goes from full to empty and even sticks! Got a feeling i'll just end up replacing pump and sender to be on safe side.

thanks for replies.

easy enough to remove the pump (although the screw lids on the tank are very tight) and check the float operation and gauge level, just reach in and twist the pump and it comes straight out.

Fuel filter just changed, Pretty straight forward!

Car now pulls like it should, However fuel pumps still noisey!

Just tried removing it, Cover was easy to take off. Bloody things wedged in i'm sure so i'll have another go tomorrow i think.

Yeah mine was the same mate, took a few attempts to get it out and plenty of swearing. Not the best thing to grip either. Try pushing down slightly when you twist. Make note of the position its sat.

Should i disconnect the pipes first? Just thinking it may release vacuum?

It's just stuck in the tank thanks to years of grime getting wedged into the seals.

Just an update.

Took a new pump to Inters and with a little help changed it. Solved the problem and the cars back to being a little flying machine!

Seems the old pump wasnt secure to the bottom of the tank hence the erratic gauge.