TimDoc

What kills coil packs?

head gasket looks ok,not brilliant but sealing.Dont think youd ever really see a gasket gone on opposing ends,more likely to go between cylinders. your coolant is quite bad a colour.

6 has ingested oil on big scale,looks like its coming in the inlet valve and exiting exhaust so suspect valve stem seal.looks like 5 is not far behind.1,3,4 are starting to ingest oil.

number 2 is the only good one.

Id personally check the head,your bores dont look that bad but you can see a bit of ovality by eye.

Might even be an oil scraper ring gone on 6,any scratches on the bores?

how do u check the head, i'm guessing its the valve stem seals you need to have a look at, just remove the cams and bearings etc?

Also, with the block, can you rotate the crankshaft pulley with the chains loose or will i loose the timing - any tips?

T

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

can u drop a v6 4motion with minimal issues?

T

try rotate the cam til number 6 inlet is open and have a look to see if oil is coming from inlet.

Your going to have to time it up anyway so rotate it if you need to.

V6 4 motion,you'll have to speak to the VR boys about that.but from what i gather 24v v6 is a easy conversion.

my 1.8t conversion is been a royal pain in the a$$ with wiring

checked the head - intake valves (ID'd by shining light through intake manifold) are clean as a whistle on the inside on the stems, exhaust valves are manky as hell - think that means it can only be ovaling of the cylinders - which makes it a bottom end rebuild job with boring out - gutted - gonna have to get a loan for a new car in the meantime which i hate doing. Think i might get more money back from breaking it but not sure I have the time. Will look out for a cheap VR6 engine to transplant as that wouldnt be to tricky or time consuming.

Which cars had OBD2 VR6's in them, Golf Mk3s?

Tim

breaking the car - please contact me on 07980267163 - txts between 0800 and 1700 and calls after 1700 til 2100 only please

See main thread in breaking section.

Tim :(

Edited by TimDoc

crikey Tim, sad end, what did you find today that's altered the transplant plan?

i've got to the point where it was going to be around 500 to do the transplant, would need a few other bits and pieces doing, all to sell the car straight afterwards at a time where it wont make what its worth. Was approaching around 100k and quite a lot to do, also lots of custom bits on it which will make more on their own - full re-upholstered interior etc.

Think I can prob make more this way and have the facilities to do it (but not much time so will be a slow process)

Start thinking what bits you might need, apart from the block, everything on the car works, and most of the bodywork is mint!

Tim