jessicaharvey

please please help!!!! garage botch!

right i bought coilovers to fit to the corrado,,,,,,my boyfriend usually does all my cars but due to the fact we are moving our garage is chocca block...so we decieded to take it to our local garage...he said the job would take 2hrs tops...its been in all day and when we turned up at 4 they were still none the wiser....the way they had fitted them meant the piston of the shock poked up throught the top mount by **** loads! what were we to do drill holes in our bonnet!!!!

anyways the guy fitting them said they were faulty and went home with our car on the ramp.......my boyfriend took a look so he and the apprentice started to fit them together.....

the top mounts were on upside down and all seemed to be in the wrong order.....the fronts now seem fine but the rears were a bit of a head scratcher as cos we didnt remove them we are not sure of the order they should go back....

has anyone got any pictures of front and rear coilovers being fitted as we would like to make sure its all right..havent got much confidence in it at the mo....

please help us as we are cheesed off and wish wed done it ourselves...no one treats your car like you do....

my boyfriend is no mechanic but weve always managed in the past by taking pics of the removal and then fitting them back.....so is preety competant now...

thanks all

I know this doesn't relate directly to coilovers, but this diagram is the standard rear strut assembly. Starting from the top, you need bits 11, 15, 18, 15, 16, 14, 17, 15, 8 & 13. Part 7 will come with the coilovers. 12 is not needed and 10 and 20 will be part of your coilovers too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47696[/ATTACH]

thats fab guys....really helpfull...at a quick glance i think the rear upper top mounts are upside down as im getting a clunk/light tapping over bumps

Why cant garages do simple jobs like this? they look at things like coilovers as if they dropped from mars......

remembered this is why we started doing it ourselves!!!!! lol

Indeed, as the old saying goes: "If you want a job doing right, do it yourself!"

On the rear struts, the strut tower is basically sandwiched by those two cone shaped rubber donuts which isolates noise and metal-to-metal contact, so yeah, sounds like they need some attention!

Yeah - it's a complicated setup I suppose but it's the same as a MK2 and 3 Golf so any garage should know how it works and if not find out!

If it helps the 2 rubber dohnuts for the rear have a castleated side - these both sit against the car body so facing each other if that makes sense

The torque is important too - it's a low figure and if done up too tight you will crush the funny shaped metal washers into each other.