Lod

Front disc retaining screw

So, I decided to change the discs and pads on my 2.0l 16v. The retaining screw that holds the disc to the hub is missing its head and is very probably siezed in place. Didn't bother checking the nearside probably the same.

I'm presuming it'll have to be drilled out, but have never done this before. BY the looks of the screw it will probably be a common problem, what has anyone else done in the past? Any help greatly appreciated!

Also, the calipers are quite rusty, any good ideas for cleaning them up?

Cheers,

Davie

if it snaps off you can just leave it, wheel bolts hold the disk in place, drilling out and replacing is obviously best but if you don't have the tools to do it cleanly don't bother.

wire brush and citric acid to clean the callipers up is probably best. David is right about the screw, they're not essential but can be a pain without them when you take the wheels off... the disks have a tendency to flop about without them but they certainly don't carry much in the way of load.

I'd try screw remover before tapping it out. could save you allot of bother.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/Speciality+Drills+Chucks/Screw+and+Bolt+Extractor+Set+5+Piece/d80/sd1400/p51010

Thanks guys, I just presumed they were essential!! I'll get back on it tomorrow then!

Good idea about the citric acid, I'll give that a bash as well.

Just make sure if it has broken off proud you put the disk on with the hole over the stub. Or it wont sit flat on the hub. Obvious really but a tyre centre fitter wont bother to check. Been there, done that!!

Buy a new screw, drill and tap a new hole. Only an m6 screw. The hub metal is soft as so easy to drill

and use one of the new torx head ones, not a phillips, and put a bit of copper grease on it, doesn't need to be done up tight either.

No need to dig the old screw out. Move the disc 90 degrees and drill a new hole. The hubs tap easily enough

if it snaps off you can just leave it, wheel bolts hold the disk in place, drilling out and replacing is obviously best but if you don't have the tools to do it cleanly don't bother.

This was good advice. The screw is only for retaining the disc in place while the wheel bolts are out. That is its sole purpose. It carries no load when the wheel and wheel bolts are in place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47740[/ATTACH]

..and if you do this it's well worth using something like the MetalNerd Wheel locator tool

Edited by Supercharged

No, to keep the disc and hub holes alligned in the absence of that screw you smeghead!

Tool is invaluable, VAG even supply a plastic version with some cars

:lol: have to say I thought that was a **** take at first, just hammered a chisel into a wheel bolt hole

LOL, so a thread about a disc retaining screw digresses into battenburg, cakes, fists and ham. Yep, it can only be the Corrado forum!

And by the way Alex and Monkey boy, when you say to someone "You are a such and such", the short version is You're, not Your :D Now go home and do 10,000 lines: "I must spell properly on the forum", which I want on my desk on Monday morning please.

When you say to someone "You are a such and such", the short version is You're, not Your :D

you knew what I meant misses! I bet you've got a list of known shops that prophesies the mantra "5 items or less" instead of "5 items or fewer" or a black book of greengrocers less than perfect use of an apostrophe! :p

And as for the thread going a little of-topic... the answer was given in the second post, I saw my opportunity and pounced like a sticking tortoise on the lettuce of public forums!! Slap that in your 10,000 lines and smoke it! :shades:

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

"Baskets only" gets round that one and nope, I've never been a 'less or fewer' kind of pedant! As you say, the meaning is understood :D

As for your insubordination about your lines, make it 50,000 lines!! First thing Monday please :D

I love spelling things wrong. Grammer Trolling is so much fun :lol:

where has your profile pic gone? Pretty sure I recognised that guy from Emmerdale or something like it.

I love spelling things wrong. Grammer Trolling is so much fun :lol:

where has your profile pic gone? Pretty sure I recognised that guy from Emmerdale or something like it.

I thought that picture was from a sex offenders register