Croydonboy

Ignition barrel replacement!

Hi, i Need to replace my ignition barrel as i have a hard time starting i have to turn full lock on the key and lift up and down (really hard) to start the engine! how do you replace the barrel does it mean taking the whole steering colume apart or is there a more straight forward way of doing it?? much appreciated Thanks :scratch:

Never done it, but this may help you. I'm guessing removing the cowl might give you a better idea though.

Btw, hi from another Croydon comrade! Don't suppose yours is a dark 16v I've seen appearing lately? :)

No mines a silver 16v not driving it as much yet!! How can you tell the difference if its the ignition switch or a dodgy barrel i have ordered a new barrel with two keys took most of the sterring colume off but the looks like i need to undo the security bolts to get the rest of the barrel out seems abit long winded!!

If its barrel the key will be really difficult to turn, if its switch the key will be easy to turn in the barrel but will be a pain to start the engine eg wiggling the key usually helps

OK well its easy to turn the key but like you say a have to give it a mad wriggle to get it going which may look slighty dodgy from any onlookers! so is replacing the switch an easyier option you recon? or is it going to be a garage visit im pretty handy at this sort of stuff but sometime its better to pass it over to the pros!