Sign in to follow this  
g60bv

what is it??

right. you've all been under the car at one point or another.. i hope. well i was doing the clutch on my g60 yesterday and it reminded me to ask, on the front subframe behind the engine there is a box approx 6" x 1.5" x 1.5", now in the Haynes it said something about it being a counter weight..? so what does it do. :roll: and if nothing can i take it off.? now while were on the subject of taking things off, on the off side drive shaft there is a large round bush, which wabbles about, well mine came loose ,so i thought it best to 'simply' cut it off, it's 8mm thick steel with a thin layer of rubber. i had to carefully :oops: cut it off with a angle grinder. any ideas ??? ta

that large round bush is the counter weight...

I have no idea what the box is, but I'll have a look at mine in the morning 'cos it's nice and accesible with no engine or front end around it! ;) :lol: 8)

the driveshaft counter weight is there to stop the long tube from resonating under high speed or load. ever seen that clip where the bridge starts swaying and twisting and then falls apart, thats what the weight does. thats the theory but in reality you probably wont notice it.

the counter weight on the subframe i dont know why its there. will look at the workshop manual and see if mr vw says why tomorrow at work

I took the weight off my Golf and never noticed a thing! Bin it and enjoy the extra performance form the weight loss :roll:

Gavin

According to the Bentley Manual the box thing is a 'Vibration Damper'...and before all you VR6 people start getting under your cars for a look, it also says 'not used on vehicles with VR6 engine' Always knew there was a reason the 16v was better than the VR, you get 2 extra cylinders, we get a vibration damper, great! :roll: :lol:

Yeah it's a vibration damper if you have ever taken it off you'll notice how much it weighs quite suprising really!!! I took mine off and didn't notice any side effects at all :)

excellent the funny box will be in the bin tomorrow, now i can reap the rewards of weight saving horray, :lol: i'm sure i could gain loads of extra speed as well :-P