P3rks

G60 4-branch - Heat wrap? Gaiter?

I'm planning on fitting a 4-branch in the next few days. I have done some research and some people comment that they sit very close to the steering gaiter; what is best to stop this setting on fire?

Should I wrap the gaiter in exhaust heat wrap? Will this protect it? Or shall I use something else?

Also, is it recommended to wrap the exhaust to aid bay temperatures? I know welds have been known to crack with this. Whats peoples thoughts?

I'm not a fan of exhaust wrap, it does work well but soon looks mankey and will rot away with time.

When I fitted a heat wrapped 4 branch on the golf it sat about an inch from the UJ gaitor and didn't melt it.

Best be on the safe side for the G60 though, so you may want something to reflect the radiant heat like this cool tape;

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/insulating-materials/cool-tape

Or make a heat shield out of aluminium.

Bay temperatures without any heat management are going to get a bit scorchio!

Ceramic coating are an alternative, I'll be trying some of Tech Line's Satin Black soon;

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm

It's a cheaper if more time consuming option to heat wrapping, although you can choose have it professionally sprayed for big money.

Heat wrapping is still a good effective DIY option, just don't wrap too tight or with too much overlap to allow expansion of the manifold and help prevent cracking.

Edited by science