vw_john

corrado g60

just went to view a g60, sorry if this is in the wrong section, everything was good except for when i got there the car was already warm... are g60's renouned for having any cold start issues? also there was a little bit of oil under where the charger is. felt under the charger couldn't feel any coming from it though, also the oil was fairly black. the car pulled very well as the guy liked to show me around some of the most twisted ever :bonk: also when people say what bhp they have is that at the flywheel or at the wheels?

anyone enlighten me on some things, dont wanna buy a dog.

yeah i would deffo insist that when you go see it that its from a cold start incase the tappets are on their way out.(the exhaust may be quite rattly also)

mine can be a bit of a bugger from cold even with a new starter motor but always starts second time though.

where was the oil collecting you are you feeling around the oil return line which is a black line on the left underside? it could be a power steering fluid leak which has a pipe below the charger? black oil ?G60's do really need clean oil also i do an oil + filter change every 3-4K

I would take the BHP figures with a pinch of salt tbh unless there is a dyno printout recently. what mods has the car got if you can remember? the best way to check on the charger health is a reading from the inlet manifold via a boost-vac gauge. any service history on the charger? i brought mine without paperwork and ......well i needed to buy a whole new charger. if you do buy allow for a rebuild around 400 500 .

is it on pistoheads? autotrader?

well i didnt feel round there but where the oil was was toward the right of the charger, would tappets be expensive to fix? and it got a reconditioned one in 2004 nothing since didnt have mileage though and also its had a chip and remap apparently and was dynoed 2 years ago at 164bhp at the flywheel cheers for the quick response

tappets arnt anything so seriously worry about they just may be a bit noisey from a cold start as they are dry and need the oil pump to get some oil up there. no idea of cost tbh but it would be labour fittment that would be allot unless your pretty handy with a spanner and can do it yourself.

2004? thats quite a while mate it will almost deffo need a rebuild by either G-werks or JMR (worst case it could be beyond repair then its new charger time) one sign of charger wear is when it starts leaking oil into the boost pipes which is on the right side(outlet) of the charger.

whats the millage on the car in question?

164 after a remap? well if the guy is slightly clued up on G60's it would have a smaller pully to go with this remap ( the car came as stock with around 160 BHP) with a remap and smaller pully should be around 180 mark but depends on the condition of alot of parts but mainly the charger.

after what i went through with my charger (no paperwork gamble ) i would probably stay clear of this car unless the seller is willing to agree somthing about the charger getting a rebuild or at the very least just checked over only take the word of JMR and G-werks on its condition as these guys know their stuff.

id say theyre not know to have serious cold problems , althought would be nice to test it from cold

would be blue temp sender or tappets playing up , or maybe a puff of smoke on a high miler

watch out for 2nd gear crunch too

G60s are bit sluggish starters,bit like a diesel,but should start on first time every time and should take no more than two seconds to start for cold.I bought a big ampere battery and made no difference.repeated cranking indicates fuel or ignition problem

tappets should quieten down after first few seconds but dont worry too much if they dont,theyre are an easy job and but wear on the cam lobes is more expensive to put right.

as said,check charger history-if in doubt take hose off and look at the pipe.is it plastered with oil? if it is seals need renewing-charger service required.

Oil is the most important thing in any engine,tar black oil means hes too cheap to change oil at proper intervals or couldnt care less about the engine.Ive walked away from buying a car several times after looking at the oil.reflects how the car was looked after

I never bothered to dyno a g60 because even a prefectly well running one will be tempermental as they are very sensitive to temps.Run brilliant one day,sluggish the next.

164 at the flywheel sounds very low, especially after a chip and pulley. Are you sure this wasn't at the wheels? Mine is quite modified (but stock engine apart from cam) and made 229 at the fly and 175 at the wheels at Stealth. But dynos can be massively different so your better looking at boost levels and how it drives- admittedly it helps if you've been in a G60 before!

Edited by jaded2882

sorry about taking ages to reply, i was on my phone before and there was far too much to remember while i was typing in this box lol!

i forgot to bring any tools to look in the boost pipes, and its 124,000miles. and i was thinking 164 at the fly sounds low as its supposed to be 160 at the wheels standard? would a rebuild fix that you think?

and its this one if it helps http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170669460538&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_540wt_1138

oh and unfortunately it has a dump valve, not sure how its fitted but I can only presume that its possibly sapping power.

and when I saw the oil that was the first thing I thought as the oil is really important to the g-lader.

and I haven't been in a g60 before, but i was in my mates mk2 golf 2.0 16v the other day and it pulled a bit better than that, and that was dyno'd at 140 I think, but like someone said earlier, dynos are all different

The dump valve might just be the sound of the boost return having been deleted. It's fairly easy to put back if he still has the pipe. Not likely to sap power though.

160 ps(158 bhp) at the flywheel as standard,not the wheels

anything under 70mm pulley should be touching 180-190 chip depending at the flywheel

If someones put a dump valve on a g60,he should be slapped!It serves no purpose. Superchargers run bypass valves because theyre always make more boost than engine can handle even on idle.

Sounds like a lemon,id steer clear just because some muppet has owned it.God knows what else is wrong with it!

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

as said you might be mistaking bypass venting to atomsphere which sounds like a dump valve but hisses on idle