Grim1

VR6 radiator and fan in a valver

Just wondering, would the radiator and fans from a VR fit into a valver? Would it be a straight replacement or would there need to be some tweaking involved?

Just wanted to check before we buy the bits.

Cheers

Why do you want to do this? Is it because you already have the rad and fans and need to replace a damaged standard 16v one?, because the 16v really doesn't need a bigger radiator.

If you look at the 16v radiator support panel it has a variety of mounting points for longer radiators (air-con equippped car had a longer rad) but the hoses you would need may set you back a few quid.

We bought GlosterOx's 2ltr 16v, which has had uprated cams and a remap at stealth which has boosted power and performance.

The original fan comes on at 100c, but we're finding that in traffic, the temperature is sitting between 100c and 110c (although not quite getting to 110), so just trying to think of something to keep the temp down when in traffic.

Other than that, everything is spot on.

I replaced about 12 > 18 months ago the oil cooler so that should be OK plus flushed and refilled the rad with G12++. It looked like the original rad to me but not sure if those temps are too excessive or not?

Glad you're enjotying the car!!

Ian.

Absolutely loving the car. We've used the sunroof rails from the old C as a temp fix until the new mechanism goes in. But she drives like a dream and is VERY quick!! :o).

Just finding she gets rather hot when in busy traffic, so just looking for a way to keep her cooler. Everything is as it should be though, and guessing she time a little hotter due to being tuned.

We thought that the larger VR radiator and twin fan may be a good mod to help with this.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

I too have a modified 2L, the standard rad is perfectly up to the job, if you think about it when the car is in traffic and idling It's developing just enough power to run the engine so will be no different to a standard car, if anything it cools better driven hard as the water is pumped faster and the airflow better, with good airflow the vag standard rad is very efficient for it's size as it has more cores than most vw rads.If you have or can borrow a infrared thermometer that can help see what is going on. You might have a faulty stat or radiator temp/fan switch, would be good to check at what temps the fan speeds are cutting in and out.

If you ever pass j15 of the m1 you are more than welcome to pop in and check it out.

Edited by davidwort

Thanks David, I'll let you know if we're passing.

Do you think these temps are ok? The oil temp is fine, and is running as the same as both my previous C's.

the fan switches can vary a little as they're only essentially bi-metallic strips, the on/off temps for low and high speed are something like:

low speed on at 91 deg, off at 84

high speed on at 102 off at 95

this should really keep water temps on the gauge very steady if everything is functionning well, possibly creeping a little above mid way (90 deg I think) if sat in traffic in very hot weather.

keep an eye on the oil temp though as that's the most critical thing for the engine

having said all of that, a little more fluctuation than that on water temp is not a massive issue, I do sometimes wonder if old wiring and contacts contribute to some of the variation you get on the water temp gauge, everything if measured on the engine with the IR thermometer does bear out the readings on the dash for both water and oil for both my 8v and 16v engines.

I have heard that even the orientation of the stat in the water pump elbow can affect temps a little, so there are a lot of variables that can affect things.

looking at your comment about your fan makes me wonder if the low speed is cutting in properly or maybe even only the low speed is working? Have you seen and heard both run?

Very useful info there, cheers. We were just talking about it, and think it could be the low speed not cutting in properly.

We've only really noticed the fan come on at 100 degrees.

We'll check it out over the weekend and let you know how we get on.