P3rks

G60 4 into 1 Manifold - Touching rubber steering boot

I've just fitted a 4 into 1 manifold to my G60 and the manifold just touched the rubber boot on the steering column. I don;t want any fires so what can you recommend?

I don't really want to heat wrap the manifold, to avoid cracks etc.

I have some heat proof matting which is good up to 600°C... But if I wrap this around the rubber boot, then this touches the manifold even more.. Would this withstand the heat?

Pics:

c6383770.jpg

d7ba7b29.jpg

Any other options I can go for?

Also.. Does any one know the correct torque for the copper bolts?

Send it back? Clearly doesn't fit properly!

It's a LHD manifold, like the majority of them, so most sit like this. I've done a search to confirm this, I've just not found a confirmed answer on what to do.

Anyone? I'd like to put my car back together at the weekend and I want this tackling first. . :o

have you tried taking the rubber boot off to have a look how much space there is between the rubber and the lower steering column cv joint inside it? you might be able to push the rubber boot in a bit to give you more space to fit a heat shield.

How much space do you have between your Cam cover and bonnet? Can you raise your engine alittle to possibly gain space? You can lay a load of blue tack on your cam cover to get a bonnet imprint, and use a hockey pucks and longer bolts, and if your cars lowered your cv joints will be alittle happier too.

have you tried taking the rubber boot off to have a look how much space there is between the rubber and the lower steering column cv joint inside it? you might be able to push the rubber boot in a bit to give you more space to fit a heat shield.

I think this will be my plan.. cable tie it in.. Wrap it in the solder mat which is good for about 600°C.. Then metal cable tie that.. Hope it works..

How much space do you have between your Cam cover and bonnet? Can you raise your engine alittle to possibly gain space? You can lay a load of blue tack on your cam cover to get a bonnet imprint, and use a hockey pucks and longer bolts, and if your cars lowered your cv joints will be alittle happier too.

This is not a bad shout actually.. I'll have a look, but i;m sure the manifold doesn't have much clearance where it passes the bulkhead.

Thanks for the idea's guys.. Keep 'em coming! :thumbleft: