pallet30

g60 oil problem

yes me again ive opened the bonnet and dicussed the oil cooler but there seems to be a leak somwhere. whats the best oil filter to fit on the car as the old one is a tall one and sits pretty close to the oil cooler itself. need to change it for a new one this weekend when i do the oil change.

the engine is dry apart from just around the oil pressure switch on the filter housing and around it, oil leaks under the car but not when on tick over.

seems to leave a small amount of oil under the whole engine bay ( not good as its parked on a neighbours garden)

any advice as to where i need to look would be helpful.

cheers newbie paul

Hello Paul!

You want to try and use a genuine G60 oil filter where possible. I think they have a valve inside which some pattern parts don't have and also have a smaller mesh to avoid particles contaminating the charger.

How close is the OE filter? You could use a normal filter from a MK2/3 Golf GTi 1.8/2.0 8v/16v.. These are similar to G60 filters but don't have the nut on the end which will save you 1cm or so. Also the filtration is not as good due to a larger mesh. If it's actually the height of the filter itself then at a push you could use a filter from a Polo G40, it should have a similar mesh like the G60's filter, but be warned it's for a 1.3 engine so it's filtration properties won't be as good. But try and use the OE G60 filter if you can.

The oil pressure switches are known to leak at the very top where the spade connector goes. And they can go pretty bad too. Mine leaked over 1tr of oil in under a week. No lies.

Edited by P3rks