Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Ideal Gearbox for G60

Ok guys,

What would be the ideal gearbox to use for the G60? :)

We're talking original VAG parts here as far as ratio's etc

What would you base it on and what internals would it have, also what would you use it in conjunction with, LSD, lightened flywheel, clutch etc.?

Cheers

BigEastsideVWG60

Show us a power plot first. Need to see where all your torque and power is and how far it revs.

also, how do you drive? do you use the torqu in the midrange or redline it everywhere?

do you do any track days or drag racing?

do you do many motorway miles?

id have a vr firts n second in a G60 box. they are poor when tuned aint they. a 6th would be ideal too so the charger aint spinning too fast at 80

you don't add a 6th for top speed. a taller 5th will do just as good.

You fit a 6 speed, and change the other ratios too, to make 2nd 3rd and 4th closer together, making 5th a far more useable gear.

my gearbox only has a few weeks of life left in it, was going to get it reconed but what other boxes will fit that would make my g6 more fun to drive.

i like the odd race so i use them all the way to the redline, but would like something that will still be ok to pooter about in if i need to.

Good for ratios are either the 20vt or the mk3 gti box. Both allow 60 in 2nd gear i think.To use the gti one i think you need to modify the driveshaft flanges though...

IMHO, PhatVR6 has hit the nail on the head here... 8)

There's no point in doing anything to a gearbox unless you work out why you want to do it, what you want the box to enable your car to do, and what power and torque curve your car engine is generating first... :roll:

I've gone with an LSD (essential to try and limit wheel spin with a modded engine!) and a VR6 second ratio (good for about 65mph) as I always felt that the only problem with the G60s standard ratios was that second was too short. This has been coupled with a good rebuild to ensure that the rest of the box is upto the power I'm aiming to put through it... 8)

However, I decided on these ratios only after a brief chat with PhatVR6 and a long conversation with Vince at Stealth who both asked me what it was I wanted to achieve... 8) I do a fair amount of motorway miles, but mainly in traffic (flippin' rush hours... :evil: ) and I love to take my car up and around the Buxton hills and similar at weekends for a blast hence the longer second gear... 8)

In My MKI 16V Golf, I fitted a 1600 gearbox which had stupidly short ratios for the power of the engine... It meant that off the line it was stupidly fast, but cruising on the motorway you'd run out of gearbox before you ran out of power... I've got a great photo somewhere of the dashboard with BOTH the original speedo and rev counter well off the end of the dials! :lol:

What it also meant was that I rarely used first gear as by the time you'd let the clutch up, you needed second! :| :roll: You could also pull of in 5th with no problems what-so-ever... 8) The main reason I fitted such a silly box was 'cos that's what I got with the car and 'cos I realised that it would make it silly quick 0-60 which is what I wanted as a young lad... 8) I've grown up a bit since then (some would dis-agree though! ;) :p ) so I've aproached this project from a different angle... 8)

Hope this helps... 8)

Mine only does 115mph on the rev limter in 5th....

I can top out 4th gear on the drag strip.

Yes, it's fun to drive!

so what do you think is best guys

a 20vT box

a mk3 16V box

or add a vr6 second gear into the box during the recon?

ive always felt that first was too short for the g60, would fitting both first and second from a vr6 box be any better?

i want to do the odd quater mile and dont want to have to take off in second.

I guess it depends on whether you want a really good fast road box...or one that'll hit a good 0-60. Very rarely are the two the same.

Personally, I'll pass on having an over lengthy 2nd just to hit 60 in a good time...the 0-60 is an overrated measurement anyway and has no bearing on a genuine fast road box from a drivers point of view.

If you want to use VAG parts to keep the cost down...look for a box with a nice set of well spaced ratios.....and try to find something that does 20MPH / 1000revs in 5th...that's been proved to be about optimal for a road going fast road box in a car that likes to rev.

To that end I'd suggest the following:

Mk3 16v GTI box - cable change

3.94 FD

..gives well spaced ratios and gearing of 20MPH / 1000 revs in top using 215/40/16 tyres.

Also suggest an LSD...Quaife or similar.

ive always felt that first was too short for the g60, would fitting both first and second from a vr6 box be any better?

i want to do the odd quater mile and dont want to have to take off in second.

First gear is the same ratio in all of the corrado boxes as far as I know...

Second is a lot longer in the VR6 box, hence why I've used one in my rebuild... 8)

It's funny reading the replies...

Some people want to fit longer gears to stay in them longer and make best use of the torque, others want short ratios to make use of top end power...horses for courses etc...

Personally, I'll pass on having an over lengthy 2nd just to hit 60 in a good time...the 0-60 is an overrated measurement anyway and has no bearing on a genuine fast road box from a drivers point of view.

at last! someone who agrees with me. 0-60 means jack sh1t, but manufacturers deliberately aim for a good 0-60 figure and ruins t he gears too because it looks good on paper and sells cars.

it's about time they starting listing 1/4 mile times instead.....

I've proved how effective my close ratio 6 speed is. with only 207BHP and minimal engine mods it was keeping up with cars pushing out over 300BHP.

Question is...does the short second affect a corrado G60's quarter? As this is all im worried about. Sod 0-60. :D

x

For a standing quarter - 3rd gear is the one that's too short

It does all depend on what you want, my mate has a G60 turbo,

he has a 2L 16v box in it and the car has basicly become a sprint car as a result!

It is all what you are producing power wise and what you want!

If your going for power, you need an LSD!

thats the first thing in the car,

I want a 6 speed, prob based on the 16v box, close enough ratios

So there is no ideal box, just depends on the applications you want!

iv'e heard of people using mk3 1.9 diesel gear boxes, fit's straight in,, but i don't know how the ratios would suit. also the 20v gear box non turbo fits straight in but is very short geared top out 120 -+, the 20vT box will fit but you need to change the drive shaft flange :lol: over, but with 20vt boxes going for £600+ :shock: for the 6 sp you had better make sure first, i looked into it a while ago but nobody could give me a straight answer. i only want to get into the 14sec 1/4 mile my best is 15.10 :mad:

whats the difference's in ratios between a MK3 16v box and a 1,8 16v rado box? anything major or just the obvious?

That depends upon what you consider to be obvious? :lol:

Mk3 16v is nice and strong (comparitively), 02A, cable change etc...

at last! someone who agrees with me. 0-60 means jack sh1t, but manufacturers deliberately aim for a good 0-60 figure and ruins t he gears too because it looks good on paper and sells cars.

Absolutely!

There's nothing worse than a 0-60 optimised gearbox..many of the French hot hatches play that game...2nd goes on forever!

Here's an example:

A chipped S3 hits 60 about a second slower than a chipped Impreza Turbo...so, it's a lot slower then?

Well, the S3 hits 57MPH at the rev cut in 2nd...go to third to hit 60. The Impreza hits over 60 in second.

Look at the 0-80 times and the S3 is a worthy adversary...

Out on the road there is little in it...a different driving style for the S3...but actual performance is much more equal than the 0-60 would suggest.

When you start factoring in the additional gear of the S3 vs the earlier Imprezas, and the lower torque peak of the 1.8T...as long as you learn where to shift to maximise the power / torque you have, the S3 can quite easily keep a modified Impreza behind it.

But according to the 0-60, it's all over by 60MPH.

0-60 means jack sh1t

It means different things to different people. It's everything to MAX power readers, where as the rest of us are more concerned with in-gear flexibility.

I've had Paxo VTSs alongside me rowing the gearbox trying to find a cog that offers some additional acceleration.....but against a VR6 with a long 4th and the torque to match.....a squeeze on the gas is all that's required to dispense with the Paxo.

So when picking gear gear ratios.....decide if you're a Rower or a Squeezer.

K

I've got lots of close gears AND the power and torque too! instant power at anything up to 120mph,(which is more than enough speed for anyone) can't wait to get it all fitted in the Corrado.

I've got lots of close gears AND the power and torque too! instant power at anything up to 120mph,(which is more than enough speed for anyone) can't wait to get it all fitted in the Corrado.

No I bet you can't mate :-)

Is it me or is your 'to do' list at the bottom of your signature growing?!

The only thing I don't like about really short gears is the power band feels like it's been narrowed, in other words the extra torque coupled with short ratios gives a much more instant and harder kick, but over a shorter time....but if you don't mind swapping cogs, then it's not really an issue. I just prefer to stay in one gear and ride the wave of torque.

I find the VR's standard 4th ratio particularly good for that!

K

the rado box is a O2A Cable change box tho.....isnt it? .... i thought the 1.8 would also have shorter ratios?

The R32 is another car that suferes a bad 0-60 isnt it because of te same second gear plight as a G60 box?

thats why i would love to see standard V standard VR versus G60 on a standing quater with the same driver. timed. not a race so less pressre and less chance of error. proper comparitive figures of cars tho. would be quite interesting i tihnk