vw_john

Joey Modding

In the process of 'joey modding' my headlights. dont fully understand why its called that. just saw it on the golfgti forum. haven't seen any posts on here about it so, ill post some pictures when i'm done. thinking about it, it might be a terrible idea due to the poor light output anyway

well basically its taking your lights apart and painting everything that doesn't reflect light to your desired colour, in my case, black.

I think you might want an upgraded headlamp loom if you haven't already got one. I'm sure you know Corrado headlights are notoriously poor even when everything is top notch so I imagine painting things can only reduce light output (even if its only the non-reflective areas). Put up a few pics once it's done anyway, would be interesting to see exactly what it looks like.

yeah, i have looked at getting an uprated loom, but I dont know how to fit them, i have looked at some things about it that i found from the search, but couldn't finda clear answer. was also thinking about hids?

anyway, first coat of paint on, just waiting to do second. ill put them back together and then get some pictures up!

i've done it, but hardly noticeable unless you're really looking for it!

Right, update. the lights are done and back on the car. I'm actually really pleased, probably wont be to everyone's taste but I like them.

Before:

1yv2vb.jpg

After:

2zp44eg.jpg

2zth7hy.jpg

:thumbleft:

Always liked this modification on the Corrado.. :) Makes the front a bit more moody :)

Oh I didn't know this process had a name. I noticed Kev Haywires car (I think) had this and so when I last had the headlights off I did it, love how it looks! I just painted it with hammerite satin black.

For the people wondering why it's called joey modding, I've heard it's because baby kangaroo's -Joeys have really black beady eyes when they're first born :cool:

attempted this today..hammerite i had literally just spread across the surface.. wasnt up for keying the surface as didnt want to damage any of the reflector..going to have another go tomorrow with some plastic paint..