Timbo

Tailgate rust repair

I'm gradually preparing my car for a respray which means going around all the panels and sorting out all the wee bits of rust here and there. I'm quite pleased with this one and couldn't resist sharing:

The original number plate light area can be terrible for rust if ignored.

Outstanding job -Love the detail round the screw holes.

Do you want to come and do mine? ;) Body work is the only thing I can't try myself as I haven't got a welder and I've never welded in my life :(

Love the detail round the screw holes.

They're "nutserts" also known as "clinch nuts". I'll be able to use some nice stainless cap screws in there now instead of the rusty self tappers that probably caused the rust to take hold in the first place. Come to think of it, putting some of these in to existing tailgates is probably quite a good rust preventative mod, assuming existing rust isn't too bad.

Do you want to come and do mine? ;) Body work is the only thing I can't try myself as I haven't got a welder and I've never welded in my life :(

I taught myself last year, in order to patch in a new drivers side rear arch. In hindsight it was probably a bit of an ambitious job to take on as a first welding project but it turned out not too bad. It's going to need a slap of filler before it goes to get sprayed, but hopefully only a skim. The welding itself isn't too hard once you get the hang of it; it's probably one of those things you have to do for a while until it "clicks".

Once I finally get the car sprayed I'll stick all my pictures in a build thread in the members gallery.

Duuuuude if thats just your tailgate OMG your motor will look the puppies privates lovely attention to detail really well done.

Bones