vagingit.co.uk

crunching 02a gearbox

The gearbox in my other halfs Corrado G60 has started to crunch when going into reverse

1st gear can sometimes be problematic too

Can the gearchange be adjusted at all?

When the engine is not running, then then you can engage reverse no problem, but when you are out and about, its impossible to engage reverse without a crunch and a jolt as it goes in. could it be that the engine mounts are knackered, hence everything moving?

any help would be appreciated

the engine moving has less of an effect on the C's gearbox because it being hydraulic there are no rod linkages, it's all cable driven. Also, if the enigne mounts where shot the engine would "jump" up and down in the engine bay when you reved the engine... You'd soon notice that!

Try adjusting the cables from the gear box or the gear stick see if that helps, the shifter tower is on the top of the gearbox as you look down into the engine bay. Also, do you know when the gear oil was last changed? It's an easy thing to do yourself in a driveway. Just need some gear oil and a 17mm spanner (i think it's 17mm anyway). Hope you get her fixed!

I dont know when the gearbox oil was last changed, so may look into that one as we are parking it up in the garage for a few months and using a cheap daily.

My mechanic had a little play under the bonnet, and couldnt see anything wrong, and he wasnt sure if there was any scope for adjustment