Redfox

The Rising

Gave the Corrado a treatment with a mixture of Meguiars products. Looking nice and not worn. For example the indoor/outdoor plastic treatment is not greasy and is easy to work with. I use the Gold wax, as the dealer told me the tec wax lasts longer, but with a little bit less shine. Since I wax it frequently, I went for the Gold wax. Again, very easy to apply, and makes no dust when polishing it after drying. I am using microfiber cloths only (dirt cheap fom a supermarket, same as expensive ones).

Also I applied the tire gel, which doesn't run or drip. Makes the tires look nice but not too greasy.

Just wanted to give my two-pence on these products, as they are new to me, and it's a jungle of stuff out there. Having been a vivid fan of Turtle, I wanted to try something new. I think I'll stay with Meguiars for a while. We'll see next summer. Back to hibernation ;) ZZZZzzzzzzz.....

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Thanks, yeah, sorry for missing pics. I'll try to take some pics on the soonest occasion ;)

I work late so it's pitch blach when I'm home, so I'm waiting for a nice Saturday or alike, and give it a shot on photos and install new bushings on gearshift, servo-oil canister etc.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Just couldn't resist taking a spin to a lift today as the weather was nice, to change the gearbox oil. Old oil look very clean, but og course it's worn out long ago. I will change it every 2-3 year. I poured 2 Liter of Castrol smx-s into the gearbox, and that was what it could hold, so that'll be fine. Took 10 minutes in total. Then out for a trip for an hour, to make it do it's work. Gearshift now feels smoother and quieter at the stick, and more slick.

Worth doing.

Apart from that I think Castrol is selling at hysterical prices, since 1 Liter cost around 37 euro... ;( Normally I can buy okay gearoil at 9 euro for one Liter. Hope it's worth it.

Crazy prices, but it's always like this: "oh dear, it's a Corrado, so give it the best", and all that ;)

Since I bought my Corrado, I discovered a strange astrophysical phenomenon: every time I get paid my wage from job, they automatically fly out of my pocket, and into a black hole. I have called the institure of Niels Bohr, and they answered me, that they only observed this when people have a Corrado. Maybe there is a connection?

Wonder what I should find for Christmas?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Isolated the inside of the glovebox light and the boot light with a piece of plastic, to prevent fire in the car, in case the bulb shakes off it's position and short the lamp.

Waxed the car 5 times to make it more smooth for winterstorage.

Glovebox light:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50270[/ATTACH]

and the boot light:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50271[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Okay, just a small update then:

I sourced a left side headlamp with lelctric adjustment, and mine was broken, plus a left side mirror:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50448[/ATTACH]

Then I cleaned the mirror and swapped it over, looking like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50449[/ATTACH]

Which I think is better than my old mirror glasses:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50450[/ATTACH]

Then a cleanup of the new headlamp, new brackets and a bulb:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50451[/ATTACH]

The mirror heating element works fine, and so does the headlamp and electric adjustment.

And finally I cleaned up the wheels, using an asortment of Meguiars:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50452[/ATTACH]

and they are the following:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50453[/ATTACH]

A few more layers of Meguiars Gold wax makes this from just before the parts swap):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50454[/ATTACH]

and this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50455[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Hi joebloggsvr69,

Very nice and light wheels, and must look even better in 18"! A nice Corrado too ... ;) I really like the colour.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Thanks guys!

They are running with a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 size 205/40-17. They are worn out now, and before I put the car to sleep, it was making wheelspin very easily ;) Not good for acceleration. anyway in warm and dry conditions, they are a very good tyre indeed. I also used some sets of Toyo Proxes T1-S and T1-R, and they are really good too. Drove through all of Europe also in heavy rain (all the way through Germany), and they grip very well in the dry and okay in rain, but no way in very cold weather and snow.

Next spring I will put on an extra set of F1 tires I have in the basement, as I am well chuffed with the Eagle F1.

Thinking of a Toyo 888R for track days but they have to be on an extra set of wheels.

I tell you, it amazing so light theose wheels are. Sometimes it can be a bit tiresome to take wheels off and back on, if you sit in an ackward position, but with those BBS RC323, they just fly off and on with a minimum of effort. I would like though a set in 8" * 18" for the rear end. That spoke patern was made by BBS for motorsport, because it's the strongest spokedesign for a wheel. Not for loks but for lightness ans strength, which I like. They are ball polished from factory. The bolts are BBS too, and the tools for working on the centerhubs are BBS too.

A couple of teasers for you Jay;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50461[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50462[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox ;)

Edited by Redfox

The only problem with these wheels is that they go really horrible after a while:

Corroded1.jpg

VW had to do a recall on the MK4 Golf, as the wheels just weren't lasting very long..

I think it's a problem with a ball burnished finish :(

Yack! What have happened to that wheel? It must have been loads of salt or something?

Anyway, I try to prevent that sort of thing happening, and my former Mk. II Golf had BBS RS001 and they were always immaculate, despite rain and so on.

In this case I would have then blasted and polished and then clearcoated.

Maybe the trouble youmention was, that the clearcoat would not stick to the ball polished surface.

Such wheels should always be taken care od anyway. That is why cheap bling bling wheels were invented - for use in rain and snow etc.

I only drive in sunny summer ;) So it may take a while before this happens. Never ever saw this before.

Even the VW badge in the center, which is a plastic sticker, is totally gone. But they can still be redone! (And is worth redoing!).

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

I think water gets under the lacquer, and that's why they go all milky.

Here's a thread regarding the problem: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/246448.aspx?PageIndex=1

They can be refurbed with a burnished finish, but I think they still go funny after a while :(

Those VW center caps cost a fortune, I was watching these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250936147656 :lol:

Your wheels look mint, hope they stay like that!

Ah Jay, I think that you have a set already? Good, they are great in the spring!

Cheers,

Redfox.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Sure, it must be something with both the polishing and maybe also the specific alloy composition they are made of, that repells surface treatment. Pitty, as I like them a lot.

One could go as far as painting them, and still get a nice wheel.

I would have them anodised silver or gold if it came to that ;)

I've looked at your refurb of your wheels, and that is truly an amazing job, well worth doing.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Okay, got a new winterproject:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50493[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50494[/ATTACH]

It is as can be seen a grey Corrado Recaro interrior, electrically adjusted and heated. :cheers: Old style interrior of course!

It is worn some places, got a few nicks and a few defects, but I'll try my best to revive this great interrior. So I have something to do in the dark winterhours, while the Corrado is sound asleep, and still doing something Corrado ;)

For example I miss the original wireing and fuse, so that I will have to find somewhere.

The mirrorbutton was in the most ugly way replaced with one from the facelifted model, which have created a little problem, as the hole isnow slightly larger. Hmm, something must be done... :scratch:

Ringht now it's aclimatising indoor and then I'll order some heavy duty cleaning products... More on this later on.

Cheers,

Redfox (Greyfox?)..... Hmmm... Was that the interrior or the age and haircolour to come :scratch:

I have no doubt going by the rest of the car these will turn out mint.

Love the RC pics, as mine will be a daily, come rain, shine or snow I will be getting the powder coated bright silver :)

Jay

Look Mum, what the cat dragged in:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50512[/ATTACH]

Upon opening it, it turns out to be this trick little thing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50513[/ATTACH]

I guess that Farther Santa came along this address again, and I opened it wayyyy too early ;)

But the Corrado did not see it yet, so there is still a chance of wraping it in nicely ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Started on repairing the Recaro cabin today. Glued up all the little bits and along all the edges, that had come loose. I'll spend a couple of days on that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50587[/ATTACH]

Try to clean them up also, but Meguiars does not apply here, as it's way too soft to clean old interrior, so need something better to clean old gunk etc. out

Loads of work to do on it, but I will let it take it's time, to make it as nice as possible.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Ah, finally I got the special Powerflex front arb eyebolt bushes at 22mm. Great, so at least I can get on doing it all, as soon as the weather clears up a bit.

My local dealers don't have them on their lists, and the importer cannot find them, and every one keeps telling me, that they don't exists, so here's a pic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50613[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

I am working on repairing all the broken bits of the doorcards and rear ones of the Recaro leather interrior. I clean them up, cut off some flapping parts, and put down a layer of glassfiber mix. This hardens to work very well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50675[/ATTACH]

Then it's time to sand it a bit and glue the leather back on. This is made in more than one step, to ensure a correct folding and glueing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50676[/ATTACH]

Other places, parts of the doorcard is simply missing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50677[/ATTACH]

Then I make up new missing parts like this from similar material, measure it up, cut out, file it and sand it, plus drilling a hole too:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50678[/ATTACH]

Then it is time to glue it on, and then some glassfiber. This is made on one side and supported to maintain shape, then left to harden. Then repeated on the other side:

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

A few Christmas pics to sweeten the winter:

So Merry Christmas to all ;)

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

looks stunning in those last pics. Glad you've shown a solution to the rear doorcard location hole (pic 3) Is the Fibreglass covered on both sides and is it holding up well so far? Need to do this on one of my doorcards.

Hello Hasan,

Thanks for the kind words.

I use the other doorcard as a template. Then hold it up and file down edges until it fits perfectly. Then I glue it on. Then work with one layer of glassfiber at a time. Then one layer on the other side. Then repeat it over again and so on, untill you are satisfied. Then you sand it down to smoothen it, and glue back the foam and leather/nappa. One the pictures I've shown, I am not finished yet.

I need to do the same procedure on the little thin edge towards the dooropening at both sides. Will do it here in the Christmas.

I would say that it you do it like described, it will be stronger than original. You can actually do the other side before it breaks.

NOTE: working with this is very very poisenous, so wear a carbon filter mask and so on!!!

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

So after going to church and eating ourselves completely stuffed out, I sneaked out in the garage to do some initial cleaning of the Recaro seats.

This is after cleaning them twice, which made it considderably nicer that before I commenced the initial cleaning:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50747[/ATTACH]

Doing this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50748[/ATTACH]

Using these things to clean it up initially. The brush is for doing the dishes, and have natural hairs that does not harm the leather:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50749[/ATTACH]

This is one of the front seats after 3'rd initial cleaning. Came up okay and much lighter grey and cleaner than the other, which wasn't done yet:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50750[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox :x-mas:

Edited by Redfox