Redfox

The Rising

Looking very nice mate. Very clean!

Does removing the under bonnet sound proofing make any difference at all to noise levels? Mine looks awful.

Looking very nice mate. Very clean!

Does removing the under bonnet sound proofing make any difference at all to noise levels? Mine looks awful.

nope no differance, use tar and glue remover, redfox sounds like your suspensions going to be so hard your car will shake itself to bits ;)

Hi Ben,

Yes it does make a difference in sound.

The original soundproofing makes it rather damped, and pleasant if you so wish. Since mine was 20 y.o. and constantly falling off in small bits, all over the engine, I chose to peel it off by hand. But do make yourself a favor by covering all of the front of the car first.

After that, give it a good scrub with a engine/car cleaner.

then take a paintbrush and a Liter of petrol, 99 Octane ;) , and brush it on the glue, a little area at a time, and use a credit card, a membershipcard if you are afraid of ruining it, to scrape the glue off. I asked about it here, and some said white spirit, but that did not work for me, and after having tried all sorts af strong chemicals, I used petrol, which took it of nicely. Remember a mask! And do it outdoors!

After that, give it a good clean with water and soap, polish it, wax it, remove the carcover carefully, end enjoy!

Defninately worth the effort. I used 4 hours all in all.

Then you can buy the original material again, but the same can be bought from ordinary car shops, and cost very little in comparison. I'll do that next year after the car have been painted.

Since I bought the Corrado I have been looking at the awfull glassplague the mirrors have. So tonight, while nothing interesting was in tv, I went out and prised the glass off an extra mirror.

First add some protective painter tape:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49140[/ATTACH]

Then one take a flat ruler and stick it in the top, only a little, not far in, and press outwards slowly and carefully:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49141[/ATTACH]

Then you do it below, then on top some more, and voila, it's off:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49142[/ATTACH]

Then take it off completely. Note, there are two wires, for the heating element. Give it a little wd40 or alike, and they can be taken off without drama.

Clean up and insert your new glass, old glass, or whatever. Press in the middle of the mirror and it clicks back in place. Adjust by electric knob inside cabin:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49143[/ATTACH]

It takes max 3 minutes per mirror, and certainly looks better than the old brown destroyed glass. Blue ones can be bought via the net, and diminish the blinding from cars behind.

Note: There are two generations of the mirrors, but everything is interchangable, and the newer model, have an extra plasticarm on the plastic plate, on which the glass is glued. One can just choose to take the glass off, with a hotgun, and glue a new one on instead. Saves money, and takes 5 minutes more per side.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Thanks VW_OwneR_85, it's meant to be so. My Mk. II was harder, and never broke anything in 12 years. It is needed for trackdays and spirited driving, to give the best control over the car. My wife does not mind. She says: Well, I only know the totally hard Mk. II Golf, and that's it. Great ;)

Driving through mountains in Austria or Romania, is a real joy with that setup, incl all bits:

Hard coilovers, poly bushings all over, strut tower bars front and rear, low profile bigger wheels and thicker Eibach anti roll bars front and rear, 22mm front and 25 mm rear.

Poly bushings will be on my Corrado as well, plus the ones for the steering rack and so on = winterproject.

This time I will also get better brakepads, than the EBC Green Stuff I have used earlier, as they are not up to track day driving or alike.

I cannot find Red Stuff, I tried today, for the G60, but will probably get some Ferodo DS2500 instead. We'll see.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Hmm, not yet, ther is more to come over the winter. E.g. a Golf full size intercooler, to help the engine.

But thanks anyway :)

I am very much in doubt about swapping all tubes for blue Samco Sport ones. Don't really know if they are better than original?

Tomorrow I don't have too much quality time with my Corrado, since I am going to an all day birthday. Maybe a little tlc in the evening. Have a nice piece of aluminium to install.

Question: Why is it that Corrado parts are slowly invading our apartment ? Even my desk?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Just put in a new second hand headlamp today. Will have to clean the area up, and while I was at it, took the snorkel off. Sounds a little too loud when driving in town, but when I drove on the freeway and highway, it was more subtle and not anoying.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49153[/ATTACH]

It will probably de debatable as to whether it actually gives any positive change in performance, but hopefully so, as the snorkel is really long and narrow, being quite restrictive on the incoming air. The lack of the snorkel may also bring a little more calmness around the airbox's filter itself, which in turn may also contribute to better breathing.

Also took the intake tube for the G-ladder off and carefully cleaned it on the inside. Thankfully no oil inside, let's hope it stays that way :)

Unfortunately the freshly installed second hand headlight went totally foggy on the quick drive (dry and sunny), so I took it off and bulps out, and will let it to hopefully dry up untill tomorrow. Hope it's not leaking or not watertight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49154[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

HI all,

Did the headlight switch mod as per this forum today. Better safe than sorry, though I couldn't find anything wrong with the switch nor the wires. So all should be good now.

Have dried up the foggy headlamp, and tested it tonight. Seemed okay. Will see next time out in the rain driving, and THAT may be very long from now.

Did shave rust off my brothers mazda 626. It came up okay, but no more time today for Corrado. Stormy winds with heavy rain is coming in at this hour, so better go indoor and play with the computer, or better, listen to a good jazz-album ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

small update.

put on some new steering rods, new trackarms and Powerflex bushings is waiting for better weather to be installed.

Meanwhile I have been working a little on a leather handbrakegaiter, which is now a really tight fit, so soaked it in warm water a few times, and it helped a little bit, but not enough, so will have to invent something for pulling it the last 1 cm.

Changed the brakefluid as I don't know when the previous owner did that last time. My Corrado have abs, so front brakes are easy, but the rear ones are a litle bit more tricky, as the brakespedal have to be pumped 20 times, ignition on, then let some fluid out, pump again until a buzz can be heard from the abs unit, then more fluiod out and so on. As the pump can become too hot, 2 minutes is max, then let it cool down for 10 minutes, as per Bentley manual. great to have that, really !! And my wife was helpfull to pump the pedal, while I was doing the valves.

The Powerflexbushings for the eyebolts for the front antirollbar, are all different hights, so did ask Powerflex what to do. Awaiting answer from them.

Pressed out the big ones from the new track arms, and the small ones I just took a 5 mm drillbit and made holes in it, then 7mm drillbit, and by then it had enough holes in it to relief pressure, and then it's really easy to knock them out with a small hammer. Dit the same with the eyebolts.

Greased up the new Powerflex bushings and pressed them in place. Almost ready to install the lot.

On my former Mk. II golf, I had done the same, and together with bigger antiroll bars, and struttowers front and rear and a coilover all around, it made for a very sharp drive, with perfect feedback of where the wheels were and what they did.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Some bits and bobs for the Corrado floating around awating installation:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49252[/ATTACH]

I also managed to swap some more bolts and nuts for stainless ones. Getting there, but slowly. I think the radiatorneck in plastic is a not so great one, so will try to get a metal one.

want to paint the whole car in fresh Flash Red and got a quote on 2300 GBP without taxed. Urgh!

Here's a picture of the variating Powerflex eyebolt bushes: (strange as they need to be of same height, and they are all too high, save one)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49253[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox ;)

Edited by Redfox

Washed the Corrado and waxed it after. Did some corners too with grain 11000 polishing fluid.

When I pushed my Corrado back in the garage, I discovered that it had peed on the ground. A nice spot of brake fluid. Got to take wheels off tomorrow and look for failure.

If nothing else, you got to admit a Corrado have some personality, and they often get away with it!

Managed to peel off some ugly Blaupunkt code stickers. They surely sit well glued.

And I managed to repair my Tandberg 3014a cassette player ;) Really great!

Cheers,

Redfox ;)

Edited by Redfox

small update,

Thanks for the nice words.

Took wheels off early in the morning, and looked carefully at brake calipers, hoses, banjos etc. No leaks. Found out that it was some spilled chain oil spray from a friends XTZ750 yam on the ground, Pew, silly me... :bonk: Still satisfied that I have no leaks.

Still need to flush more brake fluid through, as it shows overfilled in the container when stopped, and exactly to the max line, when driving/braking. Also have to pump pedal some times before starting engine, to get the hard pedal back. Grrrr, was just fine before I changed brake fluid, so it seems I have introduced some air into the system. It seems that I should have lifted the rearwheels before opening valves on calipers.

Got a new package of yellow Powerflex bushes from England (the first package was incorrect made). This time they are exactly alike all four. Top service and response. Can only recommend them :smug:

Now I need to give the eyebolts for the front arb some layers of clear coat to protect them further before fitting them.

Now it is five weeks since I ordered a new liscense plate holder at a local dealer, who in turn have to get it from Classic Parts in Germany. Quite slow I'd say. But the one who waits patiently will get it... I hope ;) Well, to be honest I am not in a hurry, and since it's fall, despite a few nice sunny days, I'll soon put the Corrado away and tuck it in, soon, usually in end of October.

Changed the screws behind front blinkers to stainless ones.

Changed a few nuts on the alternator to stainless, while still having to sort that aluminium and a small cableholder... ;) I would like one in stainless.

Installed some nice brackets from Dave, and here's one on the radiator in stainless.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49408[/ATTACH]

Then moved on to install the stainless bracket for holding down the central plastic under the handbrake, so it does not pop up all the time. Works a treat, and sits really nice. Thanks Dave.

First measure up and drill:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49409[/ATTACH]

Then drill the floor and make a thread:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49410[/ATTACH]

Then add it on:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49412[/ATTACH]

Then tighten it all down and enjoy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49411[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

A Friday mod:

No:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49424[/ATTACH]

Yes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49423[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox ;)

Edited by Redfox

A Saturday mod:

I finally got myself together, and the weather too, and decided to install my Eibach strut tower bar.

Before:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49440[/ATTACH]

First I took off the abs cableing and the small cableholders on each side.

Then lay dow the Eibach bar, and see how it would fit. As it seemed okay, I took a small minigrinder and cut off the holders on each tower, and then smoothened it with the same machine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49442[/ATTACH]

Then it was time to drill holes after I had punched some marks, and I used a 3.5mm, 5mm, 6mm and 8mm. cleaned up holes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49443[/ATTACH]

Then clean it up and mask it before painting:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49445[/ATTACH]

Then I cleaned it all up with some chemical, painted it with rustproofing, then some layers of Flash Red:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49444[/ATTACH]

Then I took some stainless bolts, nuts and washers, and put them on, rustfroofed, after having taken one wheel off at a time.

Here's the finished result:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49446[/ATTACH]

Took a spin afterwards, and it is for sure more surefooted in turns. Great adition to the driving experience ;) Well chuffed :smug:

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

A Sunday mod:

I managed to buy a new black lower grille for the front bumper, as the one on the car is heavily broken by stones hitting it.

Anyway, here's a few pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49477[/ATTACH]

Lights off, blinkers and fog's off, 4 bolts underneath off, temp. sensor off and then PULL the bumperskin each side and retract the bumper, and placed it on some blankets, then mounting horns off and airducts for intercooler and brake:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49478[/ATTACH]

Prise off the bashed grille, and lube the new one to get on smoothly. Coppergrease all bolts and then reverse all. Cleaned up temp wires and connector to ensure proper future functionality.

Cleaned up the intercooler while being at it.

Had to adjust the mounting horns to get it alligned as before to fenders and front:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49484[/ATTACH]

Jobs done.

Then I bled ½ a liter of brake fluid through the brakes and got the last bubles out (I hope).

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

update:

Finally got to adjust the front bumper okay, but still hanging a little too much in the left side. Unfortunately the fittings is not adjustable on the sides; only the front.

Anyway, I got to put on some stainless screws for the lights:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49518[/ATTACH]

I also stuck in a normal filter the other day; looks like this, compaired to a cleaned K&N:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49519[/ATTACH]

And today I picked up a new numerplateholder for the rear, so finally one with no broken tabs and drilled through holes, phew !:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49520[/ATTACH]

And a variety of small goodies, such as handbrakehandle, handbrakehandlesurround, screws for reversegearindicator, numberplate fittings etc:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49521[/ATTACH]

And the old handle etc. looks like this, and was in really bad condition, and every time I passed a bump, and we all know there's not going to be less of those, it flapped around inside the car:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49522[/ATTACH]

Wheres as the new ones fit tight and perfect, no rattleing, so one more sound terminated :cheers::

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49523[/ATTACH]

and finally looking at the enginebay, I had these ugly twins sitting there, looking at me with their rusty eyes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49524[/ATTACH]

Swapped over for these nice new ones with some coppergrease to go:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49525[/ATTACH]

I know, I am being a little anal about it, but I just really don't like rust, so every time I find something, I try to eradicate it. Anyway, there are plenty more big and small things to do, so welcome wintertime ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

October 2011:

It shouldn't all be meccin' on the Corrado, so I took a nice spin, and here's a few pics from today's ride:

ps: You got to love those mirrors...

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

As can be seen on the roadsign, this is Corrado territory... :dance:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58453[/ATTACH]

Redfox

Edited by Redfox

Small update,

I am not a particular fan of plastic steering wheels, and I got myself a Momo Competetion Airleather one to replace the Corrado one. A leather Corrado steering wheel is hard to come by around these waters, and I really like the Momo one. Had to get a new hub from Sparco to adapt for the bigger axle on the Corrado, compared to my ex. Mk. II Golf.

So off it goes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49837[/ATTACH]

Here's a few bit and bobs for the Momo:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49838[/ATTACH]

New Sparco steering wheel adapter on, tightened 50 Nm:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49839[/ATTACH]

And finally the new Momo Competetion Airleather, which goes together with the Momo Race Airleather gearknob:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49840[/ATTACH]

I am pleased to report, that the Momo feels like it should: fat, small, and super nice to grip when driving fast ;)

Had to change the horn button from yellow to black, as the yellow one looked out of place in a black and red car. Black suits it better ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

stunning car looks very clean and tidy mate nice work and give me inspiration to get my looking as good,

Thanks guys ;) Lots of more work to be done over winter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49846[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Ah, finally got a loudspeaker cover for the left door, two parcel shelf rubbers and a right side early foglamp!

So corrected those three errors - that is three less to go ;)

At last I can enjoy the interrior without being annoyed of the missing loudspeakercover, since it now sits nicely where it's supposed to be.

Ran into a problem, as the Powerflex bushes I bought to press into the eyebolts for the front arb, are too small. They support 18mm arb and not the 22mm I bought from Eibach ;( I asked Powerflex, but they just say they don't do those in 22mm... Well, what is the chance of people buying Powerflex bushes also getting bigger arb's? 95 % !! So of course they should make some, but they don't.

Hmm, I have serious dificulties in drilling the polyurethane, since it simply creeps away from the drill.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Just a small update, as the Corrado got out of it's hibernation today in nice sunny 5 degrees.

Funnily enough my local dealer don't have the Powerflex PFF-85-210 bushes in his list, but they are made specifically for use with the 22mm Eibach front anti roll bar, so ordered those.

I got a new door seal (the long one on the body) for the left side, as the old one had been stepped on by people before I bought the car. Funny like people trying to get into a car, steps on everything fragile and pulls in the seats like they were a climbing rope ???:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50071[/ATTACH]

took the plastic door sill off, and the under dash tray plus a a pillar trim and a lower screw to hold the rear quarter side trim:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50072[/ATTACH]

cleaned the paint, inspected for eventual rust, but there was none, and inserted the newer type two-part fasteners:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50073[/ATTACH]

pressed the new door seal on, and trim back in place:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50074[/ATTACH]

Voila, no more potential water probs. Luckily I didn't have any, but you never know when the water strikes back on the Corrado.

Also got two new door strikers, as they were used up (as allways):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50075[/ATTACH]

and finally two new rubbers to hold the air filter box (one missing, one broken).

That was three errors less to go ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox