aust

removing vr6 engine with subframe and hubs.

I think is much easyer to take engine out first, to take everything in one go you would need to use 4 axle stands and lift the car while the subframe is on the stands.

You need 4 stands becouse you have the subframe and the front crossmember.

its pretty easy

youd want calipers off and hanging on a string /wire , exhaust undone at the cat , steering uj undone , wiring undone ,matrix pipes off, then support the body and undo the 4 ? subframe bolts , top mounts and the front mount and drop it out on a crane

ive prob forgot a few bits , i'll edit em in later if a remember any , its the best way to do it if you need to work on it all

Edited by steveo29

thanks for the reply, The cars on axle stands, I've taken the front of the car, going to get some help as I've got a pot on, thus abit limited.

basically want to take mine off, refurb it, fit new rack and refurb all the other bits, but leaving engine alone, would i need to support the engine from above the car, or could you put something underneath?

either way works , best way is the support beam that goes between the wing tops , but a couple of sensibly placed jacks will do the job too

could possibly use some 4x2 to make a support beam

i haver a support beam that i'm going to put in the classifieds soon. Used it for the auto-manual conversion, if thats of any use.

its basically a steel beam with angle pieces that fit into the side channels of the engine bay. They have rubber feet on them for protection. You then wrap the chain through the lifting points, (or in our case we used some rope under the engine as well) and then you can move it slightly up or down as required. Useful not just for holding the engine but for moving the last few mm to get the mounting screws to line up. I'll take some pics and pm them to you if you wish?

what does it sit on? the front wings? as i've taken them off at the moment?

i guess i would also need to come collect it as it looks like it wouldn't fit in the postbox

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

sorry just read your post above, does that mean it sits where the battery is?