vrmassen

G60 problems HELP!

i was wondering if any g60 owners could help me, ive just got in after breaking down in my g60. I slowly lost all power over the space of a mile the car not reving over 2000 revs in any gear but when the clutch was in it rev'd better. This then lead to the engine cutting out all together! And then failing to start! No oil leaks or signs of loose parts or connections that i could see at the road side. When I turned it over, it did turn over quite fast which makes me think maybe some compession loss? But as i havnt owned a g60 before this could be normal as im guessing they run lower compession anyway. If anyone could shed so light on what i should try first it would be a great help as im stumped.

Cheers James

yeah you can hear it start up when you turn the key, and I checked that all cylinders are getting a spark. I ll go out and see if the fuel is getting through to the rail.

Cam belt is all good had the cam cover off to check this at the road side. just been out and fuel is getting up to the rail, so i have a spark fuel and turning over but still not firing?

Edited by vrmassen

Is there fuel in the tank?Dont just trust the guage

is the fuel beening pressurised though?failing fuel pump,clogged filter or fuel pump relay.try later ones first before looking at the pump.

Is it misfiring or just got compelete lack of power?Smell the exhaust,if you smell fuel you timing is off or worse the dreaded crank pulley bolt.

see if the plugs are wet or bone dry after a bit of cranking

possibly a inj harness prob , i think you can check for voltage at the connector

When I had the plugs out earlier they where wet and you could smell petrol when turning the engine over. i dont think it is the crank bolt as with checking for a spark I could see the pistons moving. but I will look more into the fuel pump, filter and relay in the morning. cheers for all the responses, it been a great help.

And which connector would this be?

theres a plug for the inj at the end of the rail , bit if theyre wet it kinda suggests its getting fuel

you still get the pistons moving if the crank bolt has gone , just the valve timing will be all wrong

are all the engine earth straps tight and strong , no corrosion etc?

Im currently looking to see if the crank bolt has gone but im not entrly sure what im looking for, ive got the car on stands with the wheel off and belt covers removed. do i need to take anything else off plus where are the timing marks, are they the same as a normal 1.8 8v?

If you have the lower cover off, you'll need to use the flywheel to check the crank position (the marks are on the lower cover and the serpintine pulley) - stick a long screwdriver in the spark plug hole of cylinder one to find out roughly where the top is, then get it exact from the flywheel marks

There are two marked teeth on the camshaft pulley that should line up either side of the top face of the cylinder head (at the rocker gasket) - the rotor arm lines up to the mark on the distributor body.

Edited by andycowuk

From the symptoms that you describe, it sounds exactly like the problem that I just encountered. Turns out it was my plug wires. Make sure that you have a good charge on your battery and disconnect the 2 wires on the back of the alternator. Then try and start the car. After disconnecting the wires I really had to pump the gas pedal to get it to start. Once I got it started it would start fine every time with the alternator disconnected. Like you I also lost power and was never able to rev above 1500 rpms. If your plug wires are bad and arching to the head it is sending this voltage to the alternator and killing the car.

quick up date, tried everything people said on here but it has lost it compression i got hold of a tester yesterday. So looks like I be trying a engine change! looking on the positive side it gives me a chance to have a good clean up and paint and maybe a few mods. Cheers