yacobwood

Yacobwood's Aqua 16v

You have probably seen this 16v around as it was owned by Ben_Wooduk, but thanks to a VR6 coming around the corner, i have brought this from him. Thought i would share :)

Well Ben has done most of the work for me :) I just need to give it a front end respray as it has a few stone chips. But that's about it really. And its good to be back in a Corrado :)

Well Ben has done most of the work for me :) I just need to give it a front end respray as it has a few stone chips. But that's about it really. And its good to be back in a Corrado :)

Including several hours polishing and waxing the last week :(

If i had known i would have saved the pleasure for you!!

And what do you do to the nice clean Rado . . . . . not avoid the huge steaming pile of horse poo in the middle of the road!!!

Poor splitter!!

Edited by ben_wooduk

Never had a lowered car before. Thought i would clear it :( Well we live and learn (And my learning was wiping horse crap of my splitter. I dont think there is a greater way to imprint it in my mind)

Well after a few days of owning, something underneath started rattling. A little at first but after two days it got very annoying. So just jacked her up and found a weld had come loose on the cat shield. This comes at the perfect time really as my dad has just brought a welder and has been welding random pieces of metal together in the garage for weeks. So we chose the weapon (A Dremal) and went for it.

And before you view the pics, its by no sense of the word 'a perfect weld' but for a first time (and the rattle has stopped :)) im quite impressed

A proper man task. Metal, sparks and sweat.

Too much to ask for a Corrado to at least give you a week off.

agree fully, my two favorite tools right there, a dremel and a welder :) i know how difficult access is under these cars to weld and that welds not bad considering!

After doing a good job of these on my old 8v, i decided to give it another go on my 16v. I used a boat mastic on the 8v though, something i cannot seem to find now. So i decided to give gutter sealant a go.

Now the tube said it was 'Black'. This was a lie. Its more like Battleship Grey. So i was unimpressed with that for a start. When we piped it on it looked lumpy put we carried on hoping it would smooth later. Running a wet finger across it to smooth it into the gap created a very messy roof :( It stuck to my finger like nothing ive ever seen!! And it didnt smooth out. So if anyone needs to do this job on there Corrado, avoid this stuff.

I need to take a trip down to the Canal shop to see if they sell the right stuff.

In the mean time, i have one side unprotected and one side waiting for it to dry so i can peel it off. All in all a very unsuccessful task :(

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY CAR!!! lol

Come to my house, i have got the stuff you need! (If you can get that stuff off!!)

Ha-ha-ha! Lol - that's really made me chuckle!

Is the sealant on the 8v still looking good James?

Afraid that ship has sailed Jake. The passenger strip was a victim of the extreme heat we suffered back in June. It resembled a black tree branch it was that bad. The glue had melted, allowed the strip to pop up and then as the sun set, the strip had cooled and distorted to it's final shape. It's now landfill.

Got some good second hand units and painted them up when I had the car polished.

They look a treat once again.

Best of luck getting that gloop off. It may have you in tears.

NB: I cut the side rubber strip off as no amount of resto will make them look good again.

Small update.

Used Paint it black on the sunroof surround piping. 3 coats and it looks quite good. Step one of the black headling swap complete.

Also brought some black sun visors in "Very good condition". Delivered this morning and there chipped, Cracked and faded. I would hate to see ok condition =/

Not sure what others have done, but here's how VW decided to supply the Campaign with a black roof lining:

Headlining - nylon lightweight covering. Bonded over an OE grey unit.

Rubber retaining strip ( as pictured above ) - Sprayed black with satin black spray.

Roof control panel - Sprayed satin black OE grey unit.

Visor clips and screws - satin black sprayed grey parts. The paint wears off but thats how it was supplied so it's good enough for me.

Visors - hand stitched fabric sleeves, over OE grey units. The passenger side visor has the mirror/light inserted. The driver side vanity mirror has been covered over due to the obvious difficulty of trying to modify it.

I had to strip part of the roof lining and use spray contact adhesive when I restored the interior. But it's been good as gold since.

Just like to mention that I'm not saying that this is the definitive way that you should convert to black interior / roof. More than this how the Karmann trim shop thought it should be one the Campaign.

Let me know if you need any pictures as a reference.

Not sure what others have done, but here's how VW decided to supply the Campaign with a black roof lining:

Headlining - nylon lightweight covering. Bonded over an OE grey unit.

Rubber retaining strip ( as pictured above ) - Sprayed black with satin black spray.

Roof control panel - Sprayed satin black OE grey unit.

Visor clips and screws - satin black sprayed grey parts. The paint wears off but thats how it was supplied so it's good enough for me.

Visors - hand stitched fabric sleeves, over OE grey units. The passenger side visor has the mirror/light inserted. The driver side vanity mirror has been covered over due to the obvious difficulty of trying to modify it.

I had to strip part of the roof lining and use spray contact adhesive when I restored the interior. But it's been good as gold since.

Just like to mention that I'm not saying that this is the definitive way that you should convert to black interior / roof. More than this how the Karmann trim shop thought it should be one the Campaign.

Let me know if you need any pictures as a reference.

I'd like to see them anyway if you dont mind James, i had no idea the Campaign came fitted with a black roof lining, i thought this was purely an after market process.

Have you seen other after market examples? How do think it compares to your original?

Got to thank Leon263 for spraying my lights. Thought i would post some pics of the work. Im quite impressed with the outcome :cool:

Old

IMG_0842.jpg

Difference

IMG_0848.jpg

New

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Edited by yacobwood

At first it was a bit sketchy as the distributor went along with a temp sensor which made the car judder and stall after 10 mins and wouldnt start again till cooled. Made rush hour traveling to work very fun for a while. Other than that im loving it. A little more pokier than the 8v when needed and a comfy cruiser at low revs :)

I agree, 16 valves have a bit more bant than 8 valves. There's nothing better than being on a quiet country road though, holding it at about 3.5k revs and blipping the throttle every so often. Knowing there's loads more left in reserve.