Jim Bowen

Dealing with rust on front wings?

taken my wings off and started cleaning up the rust and on the lip where the arch liner fixing too, some of the holes for the screws have rusted away.

Not sure how to fix them, could try and get a strip welded and make new holes in it.

When i've heard people talking about rolling the arches, does that mean folding the lip up? how do the arch liners fix to it after that?

Will upload some pics of what i mean

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

2011-08-19121539.jpg

2011-08-19114915.jpg

2011-08-19114900.jpg

2011-08-19114844.jpg

The only way to repair the wing is to cut out the bad metal and weld in new. I've done this on both my front wings. Be warned the paint in the surrounding areas will be burned, so a prep and painting will be required after.

Yep thats the best method cut it out, that way its done properly and it will give you piece of mind that you wont need to do it again! plus the wings are off so to it this now will be a lot easier !

If your weldiing a plate in try and weld a small section then give it time to cool down, that way there wont be to much heat, might save your paint on the front of the wing a lttile

yeah had to do the golf too , chop a neat square out and weld in new , if you use a lump of brass behind the area it stops the weld blowing through and acts as a heatsink too

You say you want to roll your arches becaise they are rusty... Usually people roll them to provide more clearance for lowered cars and larger wheels.

I assume your plan is to hide the rust. If you get away with rolling them to hide the rust, it will only be a short term solution, because rust spreads.

Personaly I'd say get the rust repaired properly. For rolling I'd recommend getting it done by a proffesional if you are not experienced in bodywork.

i don't get how the arch liner will fix to wing with a rolled arch, anyone got pics?

You might get away without using the arch lip fixings to the wing, there are 4 or 5 8mm headed fixings holding the liner to the inner wing and two fixings to the brake ducts on early cars, that might be enough to keep the liner rigid.

I've just had the passenger wing off again and it looks that way anyway, but you would get more moisture up into the inner wing area when it's very wet without that even join from the liner to the arch.

You can do that, I ran liners on the red one and it had pulled front wings. They didnt fly off at 160mph so you should be fine.