Sign in to follow this  
Storm Warning

Oil Cooler Leak

Hi, Just had my Storm in for Discs and Pads and to have a slight Oil Leak looked at. The Leak is apparently from the cooler possibly just the seals. I have a service at a VW garage next week and I was wondering what the likely cost of new seals is and/or a new cooler if its worse than first thought.

I normally get the work on the car at proper garages and then go to VW for the service and stamp in the book :-D if it is cheap I am happy for them to do it.

Many Thanks.

The oil cooler is about £35 plus VAT at German & Swedish. I've replaced them on both my VW's. Big problems if the burst because the water and oil mix and go right through the car's plumbing (trust me, it's happened to me!)

The seals are really cheap, couple of quid. Usually go bye bye because of the constant high temperature from the engine. They are a bit fidely to replace as it a wee bit tricky to get to. Oh, and be careful not to bust the plastic coolant pipe that cos above the cooler. I did when I replaced my seals. The plastic was very brittle though (ten years of hard graft). Luckly I broke it then rather than it busting under pressure :shock: , which would have been nasty.

timo

I have been a chicken when it come to working on my rado, in the past I have done engine swaps, gear boxes and alsorts really...but on a car that was not so much of an issue if I killed it :-D I don't have a workshop manual yet but thought about getting one of those cheapo CDs from ebay?

Do the seals come with the cooler, and is there any resources with guidence on how to do it?

Many Thanks

Dont know whether the seals would come with it. Just order both at the same time. I would be inclined just to do the seals and not buy an oil cooler. Oil cooler leaks are a common problem at it is almost always the seals. But if you want peace of mind do both.

Try doing a search on the forum for the oil cooler instructions. I'll try and type out what I did if you are struggling in finding anything useful. It is straight forward, obviously requires an oil change at the same time!!

If the leak aint to bad, then you could leave it until your next service is due. Mine actually began to leak less the longer I left it as I didn't want to fork out for new oil/filter.

timo