robo22sri

rebuild a vr6 or go for a 2.8 24v conversion

I was just wondering on rough figure for rebuilding a vr6 was and a rough figure for fitting a 2.8 24v?

i phoned stealth racing today and they quoted me £1550 for head refurb and chain/clutch work including labour and parts

I am wondering if the big end is starting to go as the car is smoking a little on start up now also! :bonk:

I am a bit confussed on what to do now! the car has other issues with cooling and wiring loom has been butchered by some alarm fitter! :sad: :censored:

Edited by robo22sri

If you need to do the bottom end as well, go for the 24v. Alternatively, you could find a rebuilt 2.9 12v, or a good 2.8 12v OBD2 engine from a Goof and just swap the engine. This would be the cheapest option.

I have found a remanufactured abv for sale for £1200

I would like to keep the car original as it will be worth more in years to come

On the other hand I think the newer engine is better for parts etc

i am thinking about the same things at the moment, my engine is about to hit 200,000miles and not sure whether to fit a 24v instead of a rebuild

neither, go for the 3.2 24v!!

On the cheap you could do the conversion for around £1000-£2000 but more realistically around £3000 and thats if you do it yourself

neither, go for the 3.2 24v!!

On the cheap you could do the conversion for around £1000-£2000 but more realistically around £3000 and thats if you do it yourself

I don't have the tools or the space to do the conversion, my mate has a purpose built garage in his garden that he works out of

I was going to get him to do the conversion

What is the engine codes need for the 2.8 and 3.2?

Edited by robo22sri

if my car wasn't a storm model then i would have put a 2.8 24v in it (FTW)

what difference does it being a storm make??? there have been about 6 storms that had had a 24v conversion done on them, having some red storm badges on a corrado does not mean you cant do engine conversions on them.

what difference does it being a storm make??? there have been about 6 storms that had had a 24v conversion done on them, having some red storm badges on a corrado does not mean you cant do engine conversions on them.

The car will be worth alot more as an original with a 2.9 12v than a 2.8 24v conversion done to it ;)

has anyone built a working R32 corrado yet? :lol:

i know there's a couple but from what i've seen they seem to cause problems, like Rob and his pedal/flat spot.

The car will be worth alot more as an original with a 2.9 12v than a 2.8 24v conversion done to it ;)

Possibly. But that brings back the question of whether any Corrado will be worth decent money in the future.

Sorry mate, but it I have to disagree. I changed mine to a 24v and actually added value to it. You can spend money putting a 12v in it, or refurbing your one, but it wont add any value, although it may keep the value where it is. A 24v conversion may, or may not, add some money to the price of the car but that all depends if someone will pay for it or not so its a bit of a risk.

When I did mine the cost of the conversion wasnt actually that much more than fixing my 12v, hence my decision. Also, the added benefits of the 24v helped make my decision. If you've never driven a 24v then try and get in one, I can guarantee you wont want a 12v afterwards.

Lastly, dont get hung up on the Storm holding loads of money, they dont unless they are low mileage and in excellent condition. The only differences between a standard VR and Storm are some badges, alloys and the colour (Blue with black leather, Green with cream leather) - that really is it. Anyone who knows Corrado's will also know that, and anyone who is buying Corrado's these days knows Corrado's.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

has anyone built a working R32 corrado yet? :lol:

i know there's a couple but from what i've seen they seem to cause problems, like Rob and his pedal/flat spot.

My 2.8 worked very well indeed!!! I know its not an R32 but its not all about the size :D

Stan is right and putting a 24v in is cheaper than rebuilding the current engine but still not cheap. At the end of the day you have a newer engine with low millage, better economy and more power. So a winner all round.

When I get mine back I can take you out in it if you want.

better economy? Is that a fact? I know the r32 drinks more but no idea about the 2.8 24v. But then again, I do drive the R as intended

Seems a pretty good price for the head refurb and clutch & chains from Stealth IMHO. They've been doing VR6's for years now and arguably know them as well as anyone else out there!

And just for an alternative perspective.. I'd always keep the original 12v VR6 in my motor. I think it's a real shame to rip out the engine that was designed for the car and stick in something else, even if it is just a later derivation of the same unit. If / when mine gives up the ghost, it'll just be another original 2.9 VR6 that goes back in!

Edited by Jim

I've got the 2.8 24v in my Golf 4Motion and the 12v in my Corrado. The engines are definitely different in character and there is no doubt that the 24v is quite an improvement on the older 12v. The power delivery is from a lower rpm and is very linear. Even in the heavier Golf it does seem slightly better economy.

Right now If I were to need an entire engine replacement and there was not much difference in price then I'd probably go 24v.

However in a few years, if values had started to rise then I would stay with 12v and rebuild it.

What would a 2.8 24v conversion cost these days by a reputable company, 3-4k? I'd prefer a 3.2 24v tho :)

Just to add my tuppence, I'd really fancied a 3.2 for mine and drove a friends Audi 3.2 Quattro. I was quite disappointed, whilst the lower down torque was nice, when you gave it beans, it ran out of breath about 5.5k, whereas the Rado is only picking up then. I've decided to stick for now on that basis - I like the 16v style nature of the 12v I think :)

There's a 24v 2.8 from a Bora with loom, ecu and exhaust on SVAG for £350. Has 160k miles tho. In Aberdeen. I've been sooo tempted but talked myself about for aforementioned reasons :)