robo22sri

Anyone done a 2.0 tfsi conversion yet?

Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone has done a 2.0 tfsi engine conversion on a vr6?

I rang Quantum Performance engineering about doing a 20vt conversion and they said i cant do it because the vr sub frame is different to the g60 and valvers,

On their site it says you can put the 2.0 tfsi engine in the corrado though and they do a plug and play loom for it!

http://www.qpeng.com/conversion_guide_tfsi.html

But TFSi without the correct ECU is just a 2ltr. It's the electronics that make it special. Not researched Qpeng with regards this swap but I do know that their 1.8t loom leaves a bit to be desired as it doesn't run a knock sensor. Which you want in a boosted engine.

But you could put most of the Ecu in?!?

It's not that simple. The ecu is connected to every other electrical system in the car, and if one of them isn't working then it messes everything up. Stand alone management is the easy option, but then the tfsi part is not there then

It's not that simple. The ecu is connected to every other electrical system in the car, and if one of them isn't working then it messes everything up. Stand alone management is the easy option, but then the tfsi part is not there then

???

Why wouldn't a tfsi work on a standard alone I don't get your logic..

So a Motec won't work then ?

Qpeng kit on the tfsi is quite good actually..

The Phirm have fitted a fully working TFSI into a Mk2 Golf. Its mega quick (I'm lucky enough to have had a ride out in it) and a great install. The point is it can be done but there are some clever workarounds required on the TFSI ECU to get it to run with Mk2 (or any other) clocks and other anciliaries. Speak to the experts if you need to know why you can't run standalone ECU and have the TFSI working fully, but it seems to be the case.

CHAZRAD

I've seen the Phirms Mk2 it's bloody quick... think just like the 20v the standard Ecu swaps will become cheaper you just have to pay for the R&D at the moment..

I know it's a pain because I've tried doing it!

The stand alone stuff doesn't work the high pressure injection system to the same degree, if at all, as the standard ecu. That is what makes the engine special.

The standard ecu will be an absolute anus to wire in without all the clever stuff the phirm has connected. If you use that it all comes down to money.

I've tried putting in a 2.0 tfsi engine into a Corrado, and its not easy.

Firstly none of the original mounts can be used, so it's custom mounts to begin with.

Custom driveshafts, exhaust, pipework etc etc.

Then the wiring....

By all means try it, but we decided quite quickly that it would be a money pit and a long process.

I know it's a pain because I've tried doing it!

The stand alone stuff doesn't work the high pressure injection system to the same degree, if at all, as the standard ecu. That is what makes the engine special.

The standard ecu will be an absolute anus to wire in without all the clever stuff the phirm has connected. If you use that it all comes down to money.

I've tried putting in a 2.0 tfsi engine into a Corrado, and its not easy.

Firstly none of the original mounts can be used, so it's custom mounts to begin with.

Custom driveshafts, exhaust, pipework etc etc.

Then the wiring....

By all means try it, but we decided quite quickly that it would be a money pit and a long process.

cheers for the conformation, i will forget that idea then :lol:

just read the latest info from qpeng. All sounds very promising and cheap. I run qpeng on my 20v and cant fault it. If the kit they have developed for the tfsi is as good as they say, then it will make this conversion alot easier.

In that case, all you need to worry about is putting it in....

I've done a few engine conversions and have just finished a haldex conversion on a rallye, and I still think the tfsi conversion is a pretty big task from an install point of view

Think problem with the qpeng kits is it doenst cater properly for the stratified injection,which is basicly as said what gives this engine its edge. you need to run proper CANBUS to use it properly which most companies filter out sensors and drivers.Basicaly you end up with a direct injection 2.0t,nothing more.

Yes it is very indepth wiring but thats whats needed to run modern electrics.Its pretty much down to-You get what you pay for!!

Engine mounts now are mounted to the chassis legs rather than the subframes to reduce engine vibration and engine/gearbox movement,putting them in older mk2 frames is always going to cause problems as engines were subframe mounted in mk2s and mk3s but thats easier task compared to the wiring

An company that removes fail-safes such as knock sensors in their looms,I WONT touch with a 10 foot barge pole.Thats asking for trouble

... you need to run proper CANBUS to use it properly ...

...An company that removes fail-safes such as knock sensors in their looms,I WONT touch with a 10 foot barge pole.Thats asking for trouble

Sorry mate but you are wrong...

Daily driven Corrado 2.0TSI, stock G60 transmission, no CAN-BUS!, stock MED17.5 ECU

154478_10151879641614516_1692126178_n.jpg

stock turbo, 1,5bar of boost and some intake mods

1377099_10151973178534516_1125384928_n.png

Sorry mate but you are wrong...

Daily driven Corrado 2.0TSI, stock G60 transmission, no CAN-BUS!, stock MED17.5 ECU

154478_10151879641614516_1692126178_n.jpg

stock turbo, 1,5bar of boost and some intake mods

1377099_10151973178534516_1125384928_n.png

more info please mate, this is what im planning on doing sometime this year.

more info please mate, this is what im planning on doing sometime this year.

You can find more pictures on my facebook page:

here are 4 things in this SWAP I am proud of :)

- stock Corrado A/C is working - I fabricated a bracket to use stock A/C compressor (the MK6 compressor is PWM operated)

994558_10151767024124516_1307979577_n.jpg

- stock P/S is working ... with E-Pump - that was not hard but it took me a day or two to find proper pump

2vailjn.jpg

- stock 02A gearbox on EA888 - because I have access to CNC Mill, custom parts are easy to fabricate

minndu.jpg

- wiring ... yeah, when I had it running (immo defeated etc.) there was a problem with limp mode (revs limited to 5000rpm); it took me 2 weeks to figure it out why it goes limp mode and why it has problem with oil valve

As I have told you the car is daily driven ... I was asked by the owner to modify the software in case of snapped/lose hose. His wife drives the Corrado harder than "boys" can imagine :D

So now the engine drives limp mode free even with boost hose off :) It drives like N/A and does not die.

Nice. A lot of clout for not a huge amount of cash.

To reach the power/torque numbers the intake has to be modified a bit. This part of the job I won't share. Most of you will be happy with 280hp and 450Nm I guess.

If you need help with wiring PM me :)