l16ydl

Looking to buy a Corrado

Hi all,

After messing around on the net and looking through eBay, i've taken quite a liking to the Corrado. Wasn't my first choice at first as i was after a BMW E30 325i or a Mk2 Golf GTi but i quite fancy a Corrado now. I've not got a massive amount to spend as i've got a E46 330d Touring and a E30 cab which is in the process of being done up.

For my budget (up to £1000), there a few choices, most of them a little older or something that needs a little TLC with masses of mileage but have a choice of 1.8 16v, 2.0 16v and one or two G60's. Abit sceptical about which one to buy as i just want a cheap weekend car thats not going to cost me the earth to run.

Just wondering what i should be looking out for and what is the best car-to-money option.

Cheers

Lloyd

Welcome to the forum. The Corrado is a really lovely car regardless of which model you buy. It seems to have a character that few others do.

However, you say that you want a cheap runabout that won't cost much to run. I'm afraid you are unlikely to find this in a Corrado. Even when new they were fairly rare and nowadays replacement parts can be hard to find. Many body and trim parts are no longer made and so the price of them on the seond hand market can be reasonably high. I would also be a little concerned buying at the lower end of the market as any car at that price point is likely to need work.

I suspect that a BMW E30 would be cheaper to run. This is mainly due to them being a more popular car when new and so parts availability is much better. BMW are also much better than VW when it comes to supplying parts for their older cars.

That said, I would think that the 1.8 or 2.0 16v would be the best/cheapest car to buy in your circumstances, especially as it shares engine components with the Golf's of the time. They were also the slightly less diesirable models at the time so are less likely to have been abused. And they are more fuel efficient of course.

Typical things to look out for:

* Rust.

* Heater matrix needs replacing on higher mileage cars so check whether it has been done - Thepart is cheap but the dashboard needs to be removed to replace it.

* Sunroof is prone to failure (motors fail and also the mechanism snaps).

* Spoiler fails (usually the motor).

* Heater dials break on the post-facelift cars.

* Ignition barrel fails.

* Fog lights cracked due to low frontal area.

* (on the G60) The supercharger needs frequent servicing.

* Electric mirrors fail (could be a motor in the mirror or the switch itself which is cheap).

hi, you wont be disapointed with the corrado ! unless you buy cheap! seriously though £1000 aint much, i brought my Corrado vr6 for £1300 and it came with a huge list of problems, most of which i knew about at the time of sale, looking back i wish i would of saved up and spent around 3k! on a better condition one, they are awesome cars! every time i drive it makes me smile :) there also

becoming rarer each year! but the problems iv got/had keeps me intersted and i love learning about my car, so if your mechanicaly minded and want to get involved with little things like replaceing the rear brake calipers,door hinge pins, suspension bushs etc etc then buy a cheap one! but expect to have problems which come with cheap cars, otherwise if your not up for doing the work just save up and buy one thats been looked after as it will end up costing if not more in the long run.

Welcome to the forum. The Corrado is a really lovely car regardless of which model you buy. It seems to have a character that few others do.

However, you say that you want a cheap runabout that won't cost much to run. I'm afraid you are unlikely to find this in a Corrado. Even when new they were fairly rare and nowadays replacement parts can be hard to find. Many body and trim parts are no longer made and so the price of them on the seond hand market can be reasonably high. I would also be a little concerned buying at the lower end of the market as any car at that price point is likely to need work.

I suspect that a BMW E30 would be cheaper to run. This is mainly due to them being a more popular car when new and so parts availability is much better. BMW are also much better than VW when it comes to supplying parts for their older cars.

That said, I would think that the 1.8 or 2.0 16v would be the best/cheapest car to buy in your circumstances, especially as it shares engine components with the Golf's of the time. They were also the slightly less diesirable models at the time so are less likely to have been abused. And they are more fuel efficient of course.

Typical things to look out for:

* Rust.

* Heater matrix needs replacing on higher mileage cars so check whether it has been done - Thepart is cheap but the dashboard needs to be removed to replace it.

* Sunroof is prone to failure (motors fail and also the mechanism snaps).

* Spoiler fails (usually the motor).

* Heater dials break on the post-facelift cars.

* Ignition barrel fails.

* Fog lights cracked due to low frontal area.

* (on the G60) The supercharger needs frequent servicing.

* Electric mirrors fail (could be a motor in the mirror or the switch itself which is cheap).

hi, you wont be disapointed with the corrado ! unless you buy cheap! seriously though £1000 aint much, i brought my Corrado vr6 for £1300 and it came with a huge list of problems, most of which i knew about at the time of sale, looking back i wish i would of saved up and spent around 3k! on a better condition one, they are awesome cars! every time i drive it makes me smile :) there also

becoming rarer each year! but the problems iv got/had keeps me intersted and i love learning about my car, so if your mechanicaly minded and want to get involved with little things like replaceing the rear brake calipers,door hinge pins, suspension bushs etc etc then buy a cheap one! but expect to have problems which come with cheap cars, otherwise if your not up for doing the work just save up and buy one thats been looked after as it will end up costing if not more in the long run.

Cheers for the reply guys. When i said i wanted something cheap to run, i should have made it abit clearer that i meant fuel and day-today running. Like most VW's at a certain age they all need work and unless i spend £3k plus for something that is good but not immaculate so i get where you're both coming from. For a £1k i can get a fairly decentish 2.0 16v which is what i would probably go for unless i can get a cheap G60.

Which ever car i buy i know that its going to need money throwing at it and thats is probably why i want something that needs a little TLC. As stupid as it sounds, i like to make something **** look amazing, well try to. I will have a look around and be patient and see what comes up, i know they are getting rare and have their common faults, but i look forward to owning one.

My mate has got a VR6 which has been sat on his drive for the past year and thats has all the common things wrong with it but he loves it that much that he wont sell it. Maybe if i get mine it might inspire him!!

Will keep you guys posted.

Deposit down and hopefully collecting it on weekend. Found a 2.0 16v, here's the link:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201134411982520/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/corrado/make/volkswagen/page/1/quicksearch/true/radius/1500/postcode/m309ax?logcode=p

Had a good conversation with the guy this morning and i was sold on it. Cant wait to pick it up, might have some 17's for it stored up but will see when i collect it. Will let you all know soon.

Looks good, but you have been to see it before putting a deposit down, haven't you?!

Buying cheap is not always worse than buying a more expensive car - especially if you know what to look out for! No matter what you spend, you're likely to need to spend more in the upcoming months/years for putting right the bits that aren't quite perfect.

If you're planning to tinker a little, a Corrado is definitiely a couple of steps up the ladder above a MK2 GTI in terms of complexity, but still pretty accessible.

you dont hang around do ya ;) looks nice man! leather aswell!!

i know exactly what you mean about TLC, its what keeps us interested in them, it would be a tad boaring if all of our cars were minters that didnt need anything doing other then driveing, i actualy enjoy working/improveing on my car just as much as driveing :)