dave_c

Door Speakers in Poverty Models?

Hi everyone.

Just got my 1990 16v, it came without a headunit and front speakers so I immediately thought that someone had ripped them out before selling.

After a quick investigation it looks like there are no fixing/mounting points to have door speakers. How do you get around this?

Do I need to make something out of mdf or is there a nice little VW part I can buy?

1990 16v won't have door speakers only dash ones, unless it had an optional 'AKTIV' system fitted, easy enough to fit some 5 1/4 inch drivers in there though, but you may have to be a little creative with fixings.

Nothing inside the door pods, it's an early corrado, different from the later ones! Guess I'll get the mdf templates measured and cut up and secure them directly to the door. I take it I can take the feed from the dash speakers and run them to the doors without many problems?

I was planning on mouting the individual tweeters behind the dash grills.... Will that sound alright?

thinking about it, I don't think the early 16v door cards had the cutout in the card for the door speakers even, I fitted some to mine though with not much effort, crossovers behind the dash and tweeters in the dash speaker locations like you say, not ideal as the tweeters will be reflecting off the windscreen, but the corrado isn't exactly ideal for top-end sound anyway :)

Cheers! I'll give it a go when I get some free time, just need to make my peace with the awful radio loom thats been spliced to buggery!