andycowuk

6x4 components

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has seen any products like this one....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INFINITY-REFERENCE-6432CFP-4X6-2-WAY-CAR-PLATE-SPEAKER-/220833335631

I really like the idea but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK - has anyone seen or used an equivalent?

I've got a set of infintiy components in the front with the 4" woofer in the door pod and tweeters in the dash driven by a 2x100 amp at the moment which sound great, but as there is nothing at all in the back other than the sub it sounds a bit weird if you look any direction other than straight forward - you get bass in one ear and mid/high in the other....

Interested in hearing what you have done with the standard 6x4 slots in parcel shelf supports - I have no intention to do any hacking of interior!

I don't really see the point of having any sound in the back, after all you as the driver sit up front and probably face forward about 80-90% of the time anyway. If you regularly have people in the back you could set the fader to send a little bit of sound to the rear speakers but otherwise you really just need the sound in the front.

If it sounds weird to you at the moment you could tweak the settings on your headunit so it would slightly adjust the balance to the right. It can be a bit trial and error to get all the settings just right.

I've got standard speakers in the rear shelves but my personal preference is for all the sound to be in the front so I've got the front/rear fader set to front only.

I put a cheapy set of Longmill 6x4s in the back just cos I had them laying about. The fader's set mostly to the front running a pair of 4" JBL's in the dash linked in series with some Alpine 5.25"s in the doors. All are powered by the head unit with only the sub using an amp and that's fed by the RCA output. It's a thrown together stop-gap system till I get my minidisc player fitted (I'm serious) but sounds good.

If you only wanted a little sound to fill the back of the car with I rekon you could run some cheapys off the head unit and fiddle with amp gain levels so they're not over powered. Otherwise you could make an MDF parcel shelf and put any speakers you like in it. Makes a great place to mount amps as well.

It's a thrown together stop-gap system till I get my minidisc player fitted (I'm serious) but sounds good.

I must confess I was a huge fan of minidiscs. In my first car which was a 1997 Black Polo 16v I had a Sony Minidisc headunit and 6 disc (minidisc) changer mounted in the glovebox. I think I've still got both of them up in the loft. Just something about those little minidiscs that always appealed to me. Plus they were small enough to stash anywhere. I had a little stack of them that fit in the ashtray!

Precious memories.