8vMatt

Which Stainless for a 6 Branch Mani?

I've been talking to a company that sells 6 branch manifolds. They list them as being for Golfs, I take it they will fit the VR fine. They did say that they offer two grades of stainless, a 201 and 304. This doesn't mean a thing to me guys. Any thoughts if its any good?

Not familiar with 201, but 304 is what's generally used. Be aware that quite a few of the SS alloys will in fact appear to oxidise and discolour which may be the case with 201. 316 is the grade that you would really consider to be 'stainless' but I'm not at all sure how it would cope with the heat of an exhaust application... Google and a bit of common sense interpretation may well prove your ally in this....

Mark

Stainless Steel by nature has to have Chromium and Nickel in it, with the high price of metals now 201 has both less of each and in particular Nickel. The tensile strength of 201 is about 10% greater than 304 which means that, like for like, parts can be made slightly thinner and therefore use less material.

Out of the two, I would say go for 304.

Ian.