dave_c

Spoiler, MPG Gauge & MFA

My active spoiler has never worked. It works off the switch but not at 45mph etc.

My MPG gauge reads a constant 99.9MPG.

The speed reading on the MFA display reads random numbers irrelevent of the actual speed the car is going. It seems to just read higher the longr I've been driving.

Any ideas? I've tried searching but theres so much about the blue wire etc etc

Is this speed sensor related? If so where is that?

I had the same problems with mine. I ended up replacing the clocks with another set, but kept my original speedometer to keep the mileage the same, and ever since then everything has worked spot on! I also replaced all the vacuum hoses apart from the one to the ECU.

If it's anything like the MK2, then there's a speed sensor on the back of the clocks. Not sure if it's a replaceable item, or whether you need to replace the clocks - it'll be clearer once you remove the clocks

I have a set of clocks from a 1990 16v. you can have them for £25 inc the postage

if that's of use to you ,let me know thanks rod

Is there any way to check if mine are at fault? If I buy a new set and these are also duff then I'm none the wiser!

Do you get valid readings for distance travelled and average speed on the MFA? These are also calculated using the reading from the speed sensor.

I fitted a new gauge cluster and now all of the mfa functions work! Spoiler still doesn't work automatically though!

However, on the way home tonight (before I fitted the new gauges) it started working on it's own! It went up and down twice before failing to come back up again!

Any ideas where the fault lies?

Still none the wiser! It's worked a few times now but still randomly stops! Loose connection? Broken wire? Where are the main bits I should look for?

if your clock issue is now fixed i would suspect that the spoiler module is at fault.

You can find it by removing the facia odd your clocks and removing the drivers heater module... it is a small black box clipped to the inside of the dash where the spoiler switch is located

Intermittent functioning screams 'broken connection' to me - either in the wiring or the spoiler module itself. Check the wiring into the module first - this last bit could be a cheap fix.. I think according to the Bentley manual the speed input into the module comes in on pin 8.

Edited by tony_ack