Jim

Bleeding the upper timing tensioner bolt...

Regarding this thread from 2003...

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?3520-Lower-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-VR6

I've asked a few places about it now and now have a thread running on VW Vortex about noise I get from my engine. It's a ticking / tapping / fluttering noise that seems to occur beyond about 2000RPM and then comes and goes higher up in the rev band. Traditionally used to quieten down a little after an oil change but it does seem to be getting worse. I'd ruled out anything to do with chains or tensioners because I know they've been done in the past AND the noise seems to come from the other side of the block...

However.. just been advised on Vortex that it might be worth doing as described on page #2 by Mr PhatVR6... is it as straightforward as it sounds? Can I simply remove that bolt, submerse in oil and follow the bleed procedure and reinsert? Kev - did you ever get around to doing this on your engine?

I've had comments that my engine is just "noisy because it's old" which I do accept.. but frankly the noise is driving me crazy. It drives beautifully and pulls like a train but this noise is like having something gnawing away at me every time I drive it and there's obviously a reason for it. I need to get to the bottom of it.

Anyone? Vortex thread is here if anyone is interested also -> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5423249-Odd-noise-from-VR6-%28not-chains..%29

Your engine has the newer tensioner jim, which is spring loaded as well as hydraulic, so that thread may not be relevant any more. Not that I've read all of it :D I've never had any issues with the tensioner bolt yours is using (120K covered), so I'm not really convinced they go wrong, but if in any doubt there's no harm in replacing it. They're not expensive. I've got 2 or 3 of them spare (quelle surprise!) but I'm not sure when I'm up your way next.

Sure it's not just tired tappets? Has it ever had new ones? Not everyone who fitted the SP cams changed the tappets.

Cheers Kev - was hoping you'd spot the thread.

I'm quite keen on the idea of doing tappets but was steered away from it by garages as they suggest it would most likely be a fruitless exercise. It's not a mega expensive exercise though so I'm quite keen to do it but it's a fair wedge outside of my skill range I think...