Sign in to follow this  
randal

Dash Speakers

Fitted a set of Infinity's reference speakers in the dash yesterday, they work a treat. However, as the tweeter stands proud of the cone - it's pain to get the original grills to fit over. I don't really want to start hammering the crap outta them to get a fit - any ideas?

TIA

randal

you could get some narrow bits of bolsawood and some speaker cloth (like you get on home-audio speakers) and build yourself some new dash grills using the originals as a guide for the shapes you'll need.

Cloth! Ding! Nice, will have to look into that. I think the metal grill can be seperated from the plastic clip/guide - so *hopefully* will be a case of finding a suitable replacement. Nice one.

Cheers

randal

I think the metal grill can be seperated from the plastic clip/guide

Yup, it can...On my valver, I took the metal grille off the plastic frame, padded it up a bit with some black cardboard and then glued the grille back onto the frame around the sides... It meant that the grille sat a bit proud of the dash, but not so much as to look silly, and it then cleared the tweaters on my JBL speakers I had in there... 8)

Are there any speakers to go into the dash which will fit without the need to mod anything????

Tried the cardboard idea, not too hot. I think it has promise, just didn't have the time to throw into it. This weekend maybe...

Are there any speakers to go into the dash which will fit without the need to mod anything????

Basically, you are looking for a set of speakers that doesn't have a high standing tweeter. I think Sony do a set of slimline speakers (well, they used to - don't know if the X-Plod (sounds like a retired policeman) would suit). Failing that, like someone suggested - you could always use components. Dash mounts for the tweeter, and door mounts for the main drive. Plus, you have the advantage of burying the crossover in the door build. Just a thought.

Laters

randal

try getting a set of old (standard golf gti) tweeters, 8) you know the crappy nokia ones (stick to mobiles guys) :?

then butcher them by cutting the tweeter out of the middle, leaving the correct dia hole for your new babies :lol:

then simple retro fit them into the dash, they should just drop in and the grills happily sit on top. 8)

if your still struggling either come and find me at next norice in guildford or at inters :)

when i fitted my focal's I took the whole tweeter out and bought a cpl of metal strips (like old mechano strips) from the audio shop for £2.00, cut them down,screwed the tweeter to the middle and bent them to fit across the tweeter hole,cover fitted over perfectly.

when i fitted my focal's I took the whole tweeter out and bought a cpl of metal strips (like old mechano strips) from the audio shop for £2.00, cut them down,screwed the tweeter to the middle and bent them to fit across the tweeter hole,cover fitted over perfectly.

Tis always another option :)

The mecano stuff is usually called uni-strut from what I recall :wink: