peachers

Uprated Headlight Loom - now no dipped beam

Hi,

Just got an uprated headlight loom fitted to my car while it was in getting a mot etc done. Picked it up today and tested the lights tonight and I only seem to have sidelights (no dipped beam) although the full beam does seem to work when you pull the stalk back (won't stay on though). Unfortunately I am useless with electrics but have done a few searches and it would seem like the most likely cause is either a failed relay or some fuses - does that seem right?

I did have a quick look under the bonnet (it was raining heavily all day) and I could see what looked like some blue corrosion on the relay so not sure if this is likely the cause? Any help would be greatly as it would be nice to see in the dark for change!!

Cheers,

Peter

i would try to clean the contacts on the relay first and check the fuses... if that doesnt work then replacing the relay would be your best bet

Ok, so got an hour to look at this today and discovered that full beam works fine, dipped beam still doesn't work. Checked the fuse in the loom, the fuses in the fusebox and everything looked good. Checked all the connections, replaced the relay with a new one and also replaced my head light bulbs and the end result is exactly the same .......no dipped beam. Am is missing something or could it be the connections are incorrect on the relay?

what colour wires have you got where....?

dipped beam is Yellow/Black. So this should be coming from the OEM loom to input 86 on one of the relays.

Then make sure the output (pin 87) from the realy goes to lower left pin of the headlight connector (lower left as if you were looking from the back of the headlight, or if you were sitting in your car's driving seat)

Thanks monzablau16v. The loom only has 1 relay but did look as though it was wired up incorrectly so I decided to change it as you mentioned and it now seems to work as expected.

Unfortunately after the lights were working the car wouldn't start which I thought was initially a flat battery (I had tested the lights without it running). I attempted to jump start the car but this didn't work (the rev counter shot up when I tried to start it) and now when you try to turn it over even the coolant and oil lights don't flash like they used to. I am wondering if the battery was borderline and me mucking about has made it give up the ghost or could I have blown some fuses somewhere (e.g in the immobiliser)? Am thinking that with my limited knowledge I probably should have left well alone and am now wondering if an auto electrician is my only hope (don't want to tinker anymore in case I really break it)?