floppyman

Gearbox oil change, anyone?

Today changed the gearbox oil on my vr, old oil was really black. Put in some castrol smx-s, wow... Gears feel so smoth now.

Anyway I got a great deal on 25liters of this oil, so if any of you wants an oil change im more then happy to do it for you. Im located in egham, staines. Near heatrhow airport.

Today changed the gearbox oil on my vr, old oil was really black. Put in some castrol smx-s, wow... Gears feel so smoth now.

Anyway I got a great deal on 25liters of this oil, so if any of you wants an oil change im more then happy to do it for you. Im located in egham, staines. Near heatrhow airport.

Might have to do this myself if the difference is noticable. Is it easy enough?

It is very, very easy. And I did notice a big difference, sometimes second gear wouldnt go in, drove it for like an hour and it didnt happen again.

That's very kind of you to offer this for fellow forum members- that's what this community is all about 8) Wish I was nearer ;)

SMX-S is excellent stuff ;)

they sell MT90 in US sizes called quarts. Think mine took two quarts (two bottles)... but basically unplug drain plug, stick it in and fill till it starts overflowing back out. Made a wicked smooth gearchange.

I would have taken you up on the offer floppyman if i hadnt just done this- but thanks for the offer anyways :)

feel the love

Wow. I'm not a million miles from you so will keep you in mind. Could be tempted by a gearbox oil change. I've been trying to find somewhere local that I trust. My local dealer is great but I suspect the only Corrado they have seen in the last 10 years is mine as I wander up to buy more parts, and my local indie did a rubbish job on my Golf so I won't use them anymore.

Wow. I'm not a million miles from you so will keep you in mind. Could be tempted by a gearbox oil change. I've been trying to find somewhere local that I trust. My local dealer is great but I suspect the only Corrado they have seen in the last 10 years is mine as I wander up to buy more parts, and my local indie did a rubbish job on my Golf so I won't use them anymore.

You let me know, I dont usually do private jobs but simple things I dont mind. Pm replyed.

By the way to other people interested. £30 gearbox oil change.

floppyman? A bit tangential, but i need to change the fluid in my Audi, firstly would you mind doing that and secondly would it also be the same price?

I had the gearbox oil changed on my VR about 6 months ago, gearchange was much smoother. I got the brakes bled at the same time, it really makes the car feel nicer to drive.

floppyman? A bit tangential, but i need to change the fluid in my Audi, firstly would you mind doing that and secondly would it also be the same price?

Well depends... What audi, model, year? Auto or manual?

If its manual and can take castrol smx-s, then it can be the same price

its a B6 S-line A4, 2004, manual. GL4-5 is suggested 75w90 fully synthetic. I assume that makes it ok? Perhaps you could advise?

its a B6 S-line A4, 2004, manual. GL4-5 is suggested 75w90 fully synthetic. I assume that makes it ok? Perhaps you could advise?

Let me have a look... Ill let you

How much did you get the mt90? How many liters?

Yeah the MT90 was not cheap £14 a quart,cost me £30 all in.

Tried OPIE oils but they wanted too much for delivery etc!!

Nice to meet up this morning floppyman. Thanks for doing the oil.

I met up with him this morning and he changed the gearbox oil in mine. He did it at his lockup garage so if anyone else gets this done, don't expect full dealership facilities :D That's why he can only do the smaller jobs. But he's a really nice guy who clearly knows his way around cars and particularly the Corrado. He has both a VR6 and a G60 and rebuilt his VR6 engine himself a few years ago. So definitely a Corrado lover.

The difference after the change wasn't 'night and day' because it was already quite smooth, having had some gearbox work in the last 6 or 7 years anyway. But it is certainly smoother now and I'm very happy with it.

Would I use him again? Yes, definitely. While under the car he spotted and showed me a slight oil leak from one of the seals. So I'll probably be getting him to fix that soon. I may also get the gearbox oil on the 4Mo done as that has never been changed and I'm sure it would benefit it.

Just a slight note on the 4motion.

If you want to change the rear haldex fluid aswell you will need to buy the special vw oil.

Let me know if you want the rear done aswell

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind I think it's due a Haldex change soon. It's done about 56k and I think it should be changed at 60k. So I may get back to you on that one.

A quick bump for floppyman. A week later and my gearchange is lovely and smooth. He also replaced a couple of oils seals for me this morning as he spotted a slight leak last week. And then ran the car through vagcom to give it a check over (no fault codes found which was good news) :thumbleft: