robo22sri

What's the heap worth!

What is a rado vr6 worth that the head gasket is going?

Its aqua blue, black leather, private plate

The body is very good with hardly any rust on it! Full front end spray job

Engine is just shot! The head gasket has not gone yet but the signs are there :(

If its just a head gasket that needs doing then why not get it done and then sell on? Costs around £300 for a full head rebuild and even cheaper if you can do it yourself. And you'd sell the car for a lot more than with a dodgy head.

If its just a head gasket that needs doing then why not get it done and then sell on? Costs around £300 for a full head rebuild and even cheaper if you can do it yourself. And you'd sell the car for a lot more than with a dodgy head.

mine is woen on the bores as well :( Its a little smokey under throttle!

Full secondhand engine for around £300 on ebay, choice of several 2.8 golf vr6. Weekend job with a mate to help even if you have very little mechanical knowledge. Don't give up easily!:thumbleft:

Full secondhand engine for around £300 on ebay, choice of several 2.8 golf vr6. Weekend job with a mate to help even if you have very little mechanical knowledge. Don't give up easily!:thumbleft:

Thats the Corrado owners spirit, do as this man says!

It was this kind of encouragement from fellow forum members that convinced me to keep mine when it wasn't well. Haven't regretted it since.

Wouldn't put the 2.8 in though. That's like eating Lidl chocolate; it's just not the same as Cadburys.

Better than breaking it though? Obviously the 2.9 is more desireable but the 2.8 seems plentyful at the minute and at £250.......?

Indeed. A 2.8 engined Corrado is better than no Corrado at all. Besides, you're only a remap away from getting back to normal 2.9 power!

I reckon that most people would be surprised to find that they are getting no where near 190 bhp with their VR6 now, unless it's very well looked after. Yep I saw that 2.9 on ebay and around ten 2.8s. So I would buy that but if no other were avalable I would stick in the 2.8, look around for a 2.9 or as mentioned the later OBD2, then rebuild the 2.9 with lots of goodies at my leisure.

So to get the Corrado running properly for around £300 seems to me a "no brainer" as they say......a lot of people pay that for a service on an "ordinary" car.

Edited by Toohottotrot

I always assumed that if you put a Golf OBD I 2.8 engine in a Corrado, you kept the Corrado intake system and ECU, as this is what gives the greater power? Obviosuly with OBD II you swap the lot.

I also thought that VW engines were generally quite good at keeping their ponies in check? I'm on over 200000 miles with a Schrick and map, and it's putting out 211bhp - probably only about 5-10 bhp down on where it should be.

Rob - I completely sympathise - I would be in the same situation as you if I needed a new engine. All I can suggest is seeing if you have a good samaritan local to you who's into VWs and has a bit of garage space. With a bit of luck you may get someone not only to give you space for a couple of weeks, but also to help you out when doing the swap.

If you still want a Corrado, another option may be to buy another if you can afford it, swap other all the 'good' stuff (interior, plate, etc.) and then sell the old one on to someone who wants to fix it. The sad fact is that you'll struggle to make back the value of the interior and plate if you sell it whole, and you don't have room to break it.

Do the later 2.8's have a little more poke. I always thought a 174bhp VR6 would feel a little asthmatic in a Corrado?

]

yep, nearer to 185bhp with the OBD2

if its any use, i'm on a look out for a decent project base. if your close enough this could work out for both of us.

I am based in Essex bud

Yep, as 3Corsameal says, OBD2 2.8s put out the same power as 2.9s, or very close to. Stealth Racing have probably dynoed enough VR6s over the years to build a complete picture of what specs give what power and healthy late Golfs always match a good Corrado's power.

Corrados don't start pulling out a lead on Golfs until 90+mph, mainly because of it's higher rev limit and slipperier body shell....

do you have a price in mind as this looks like an ideal base for me. Plus you being in essex isnt too bad for me. I originally was only looking for a shell so didnt want to spend much.

do you have a price in mind as this looks like an ideal base for me. Plus you being in essex isnt too bad for me. I originally was only looking for a shell so didnt want to spend much.

Pm me an offer bud

Rob! If you do this I hope your getting another one! What about the one we talked about the other evening?

Rob! If you do this I hope your getting another one! What about the one we talked about the other evening?

That's what I am thinking about mate

Either way I am out of pocket by alot lol